Bonito - Snorkelling & Rodeos


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » São Paulo » Capão Bonito
September 4th 2009
Published: September 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Not too long a drive to Bonito, well, not compared to some we've had. We arrived early evening, checked in, and a few of us decided to walk into town, as we were told it was a party place. Hmmmmmmm, there was one bar pumping out music, lights & dry ice. On closer inspection there was no-one there, so we moved on to a restaurant down the road. Very bizarre place Bonito, every restaurant sells all meals for 2 people, if you want it for one, you pay 65% of the price displayed. Bit daft, but we worked it out. Decent food under our belts we headed back to the hostel for a messy drinking session which which ended with the drinking of a fine scotch someone had procured.

Up early the next day for the highlight of Bonito...snorkelling down a huge crystal clear river for half a day. It was very cool, the water was like glass, the fish were HUGE, and it was pretty easy as the current took you along steadily. Apart from one part in the rapids. The guide explained it was tough, and a very fast 's' shaped bend in rapids. I was pootling along and just saw the guy infront of me dissapear in an instant round this bend, scary stuff, but fun. There were tons of fish, and some really were huge, not something i thought i'd enjoy, but i loved it. A few of us chipped in for an underwater camera, but i don't have the pictures yet, will hopefully get them up soon. Oh, and if you have a beard, the goggles don't seal to your face, so i spent the morning with half the river up my nose which was pleasent.

That evening we all went to a big restaurant together, and i went for a huge platter containing Caimen (Croc), Capybura (Big Rodent) and something else exotic which i can't remember right now, possibly some kind of bird or pig, tasty tho.... We headed back, and found a tiny bar opposite the hostel, so a few of us invaded that. Typically descended into a 5am finish which included pool table dancing, pool table grafitti, and god knows what else.....

Few hours sleep and we were up for breakfast, and a few of us were following the cricket. Few Aussies in the group, so they were none to pleased. Anyway, the last wicket fell at 11am, so it seemed almost right to order a round of large beers. It was a miserable rainy day, so nowt else to do. A good few more, and we heard there was a big rodeo taking place just outside town. Taxi was promptly ordered, and we rocked up, looked very out of place. It was a proper gaucho affair, so a drunken Mancunian, wearing shorts, coat and blue & pink trainers stood out. Was a really good day tho. Every lasooing of a cow was accompanied by loud blasts of classic rock including AC/DC, Van Halen, Aerosmith etc....

We stuck that out in the rain for a good few hours, then headed back to the little bar near the hostel for another big one. The owner was still cleaning the pool tables and informed us the barman was sacked the previous night for letting people on the tables. Bit harsh, they must have taken a months worth of takings in that one night, as no one else goes in. There was no point in an early night, so pretty much straight to the truck at 5am for a mammoth drive to Foz de Iguacu.....arriving at 9pm!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

HmmmmmmmHmmmmmmm
Hmmmmmmm

I wonder why the barman was fired the day after
Cowboys don't get itCowboys don't get it
Cowboys don't get it

..and threw cans at us
Quick napQuick nap
Quick nap

I'd just been woken up on a table next to the pool, and Matt was in the hammock.... well it was a monumental all dayer to celebrate the ashes, its allowed!


Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0718s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb