Taxi Aereo Marila. The 'cliff notes' story of an airline


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » São Paulo » Araraquara
October 31st 2014
Published: October 31st 2014
Edit Blog Post

In truth,I have left Araraquara but this story is too good to leave swinging in the breeze. So here is the very abbreviated version of the history of TAM airlines. If anyone is interested in a more complete history then you know what to do - just 'google it'.

We were fortunate to visit the beautiful museum of the history of not only TAM but of flight. Every age of aircraft was represented and most were on display. A wonderfully illustrated story with as many authentic photos as possible was given. The entire museum, once an old tractor factory, was modern and spotlessly clean. There were many middle school students there on field trips which was fun for me, a former teacher, to observe. Teen-agers are pretty much the same everywhere.

TAM was started in 1961 as a pilot's co-op. It was later acquired by sugar producer Orland Ometto. Rolim Amaro, often described as (pick one): handsome, charming, dashing, charismatic, daring - well, you get the picture, joined the company in 1963 but left in 1971 to start another airline with his brother. I could find no descriptions of him anywhere.

Rolim, the handsome,etc., then became half owner of TAM in 1971. At that time the airline flew only short domestic routes within Brazil. It became a regional airline in early 1976 and in Nov. 1976 our boy, Rolim, bought out all his partners. His motto became " The customer is king." In fact, he ordered that a red carpet be rolled out on the tarmac as passengers were entering and leaving the planes. So far, on all my flights on TAM, the red carpet is still rolled out. Sweet.

Stay with me now as the story is going to get much more interesting...

In 1986 TAM acquired more routes and by the mid 90's it bought out Paraguay Airlines. In the late 90's it joined LAN Chile and TACA ( they fly mostly in Central and So. Am.) and new planes were bought. TAM now flies most of the domestic routes in Brazil and some International routes to Peru and Chile. They are part of the One World Frequent Flyer system with American or is it now US Air?

Your patience is going to be rewarded as here is the scandalous part....

On July 8, 2001 our dear friend, Rolim, the daring and handsome one, was killed in a helicopter crash. He and his lover were found naked in the cockpit. Oh, the temptation.... but I' ll let you fill in your own joke or snarky remark here.

Revenge, however, is sweet. Rolim's widow, Noemy, became head of the Board of Director's. She appointed her brother, Daniel Martin, as President of the company.

Moral of the story... While texting when driving is dangerous, sexing while flying is deadly.

The End.

Carolyn/Gunga

Advertisement



2nd November 2014

Cliff Notes
Oh my, in the cockpit naked....you are right scandalous. Cute story.

Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 53; dbt: 0.11s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb