Behind the Metal Bars


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Santa Catarina » Florianópolis
February 18th 2006
Published: February 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

To do something new, Pedro and I tried to figure out the night life in Florianopolis. So we asked the security man at the entrance of our house for the places to go to. He indicated us a street supposed to have bars next to the university. We followed his instructions but we couldn't find any bar.
Disappointed, we made our way back home to check out a bar called IEGA (Jäger?! They have a funny way to write foreign names. For example Gnocchi is Nhoque here) next to our house.
Crossing the university campus we heart some people yelling. Was there a party going on? We headed towards the noise and crashed into a guy looking for the party, too. Think of the
typical computer scientist cliche (long black hair, very thin, glasses with an elastic stripe to skip them from falling off, bad dressing taste) and you know what he was looking like. Nevertheless, we were so happy to get into contact with somebody (I am used to computer scientists, anyway :-P) and we were hoping he would get us to the party. But, unfortunately, he didn't. When we ended up in a dark corner next to the forest without meeting anyone, we decided to go home.
By accident, the Brazilian lives in front of our house and invites us to stay at his home, listening and playing some music. Why not, we thought as Pedro is a bass player and looking for musicians to play with. So we entered
into the house. Big mistake...
We sat down and he began with his show: he played us his favorite music (Manowar, Judas Priest,...) accompanying the music with some pretty faces taken from the worst video clips in metal history and comments that nobody understood. But he also knew how to play a lot of heavy metal music himself: as an all-rounder he dominates the bass, the guitar, the piano and his voice. Or not... At least we could hardly stand his self-made depressive records we had to listen to all the time. The worst thing was that he had recorded every single instrument separately and mixed them up at the computer. Mixed them up is the right word: because there wasn't any temporal link between the instruments any more (due to the drums improvised by a keyboard???). When he showed us a self portrait looking like a zombie I almost cried out laughing. It was too much for me. But I succeeded in changing the topic with a lovely smile on my lips.
Suddenly his father entered the room and the Brazilian guy asked him:

Daddy, may I have a beer

? His father answered in a worried tone:

Well, it's up to you

, and gazed him in a serious way. The father went out of the house and our new friend went straight to the fridge... After drinking the beer things got even worse: we hardly understood what he was saying, I mean the words, the content we hadn't understood before. We were so lucky when we finally found an excuse to leave him alone with the Rolling Stones on television. What a night!
Something I hadn't thought of like this before: the guy's room has
strong metal bars in front of his windows. Is it to keep the burglars outside or is it to keep him inside?

Advertisement



25th February 2006

Mein Gott
Lol. Cool, daß Du einen blog hast, Babs! Verfolge dich zur Zeit nur sehr gelegentlich aus dem fernen Coburg, weil wir hier in Offline Country sind (private Internetnutzung in der HUK = Todesstrafe). Ich und Marki sind jedenfalls sehr fleißig am Diplomarbeiten, streiten uns fast_nie und reden oft von Dir (nur Schlechtes). Grüß Pedro und mach's gut, trotz Totaler Überwachung durch den Prof: Uti

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0916s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb