The Beaches of Ilha De Santa Catarina


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Santa Catarina » Florianópolis
January 15th 2008
Published: January 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a quick stop into the madness of São Paulo it was time for some lazy days at the beach. Tasha joined up with me in Rio and we decided to do a bit of traveling together as she heads south for a volunteer program in Buenos Aires. After a quick 12 hour bus ride we met up with my friend Kelib in a city known as Florianopolis in the south of Brazil. Sitting half on the mainland and half on the island of Santa Catarina, Florianopolis shares a variety of cultures and beautiful women. A mixture of European, Brazilian and Argentinian culture blends together to make a unique atmoshpere very different to that of Sao Paulo or Rio. The island itself is as diverse as the culture as it ranges from grasslands to jungle to pine forests.


After a few days in Florianolpolis we headed of to explore the Island and do some capming. We headed down to a beach known as Nafrugados which sits on a pleasant little point on the south of the Island. After an hour or so of hiking we arrived at the beach and set camp among the trees on the beach. With no clean water access we had to get our water from a stream that we figured was probably suitable for drinking. Unfortunately the weather did not comply with our plans and the rain drove all three of us together in the tent. Nothing is worse than three people in a damp,sandy, two person tent that was meant more for snow weather than beach weather. After two nights of that we decided on a change of scenery (hopefully weather too)and headed to another beach which was know to be much nicer that the one we were at.


To our excitement the next beach, known as Lagoinha do Leste, was just about perfect (except for the killer mosquitos which forced us into my tent that felt more like a little oven than a shelter). In any case, the days at the beach were amazing and I even managed to tan a little. After two more days of nothing but sun and pasta meals we decided it was time to head back to the city and move on. Sunburnt, tired and cursing the fine sand that had invaded just about everything we hopped on a boat and avoided the two hour hike to the nearest road.
We celebrated with a few caipirinhas and said goodbye to Kelib as he headed north. Then we jumped on a bus for the 16 hour ride to the much famed Iguazu Falls. I was a bit sad knowing that this was my last beach experience in Brazil and that I would soon have to retire the Speedo for the usual boardshorts, but who knows maybe I can bring the Speedo back into style in the US. Hope all is well and as I said before if anyone wants a post card send me an address. Tchau kids.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



28th January 2008

Cooking up a storm!
Literally it sounds like! All I can say is wow Morgan. That looks like the trip of a lifetime.
1st February 2008

Remind me not to go to the beach with you, at least for a while, after you get back! It is freezing and rainy in Santa Cruz, I know you're jealous and miss it!

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 28; qc: 83; dbt: 0.0774s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb