Florianopolis


Advertisement
Published: April 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

okay...and we are back!! thanks for joining us for another installment of "Where have i seen that outfit before??"... yes, yes..a backpacker rarely stresses over what to wear each day....lack of options remedy this...and luckily beach settings don~t warrant much clothing. so, enjoy the pictures of florianopolis which is a southern island of brazil that is actually home to a pretty good size city but more importantly...miles of surrounding beaches. yes, there is a theme to our brazil destinations. outside florianopolis city lies little beach towns that cater to the seasonal tourists but outside of the summer months...only the locals and die hard surfers are around.

after our 18 hour bus ride from rio into the city, we decided to chance it with little help out to the little..i mean little town of barra de lagoa and begin our two weeks of R&R from our hectic schedule of non-stop R&R. The weather was less than inviting the first couple of days but allowed us the chance to walk the endless miles of beach there and entertain ourselves with the merciless killing of roughly 4 billion mosquitoes in our bedroom...i wish this was an exaggeration...i heard ghost buzzing in my ears for many nights following! we then ventured north on the island to canasveiras the long way by multiple busses...i want to take this moment to apologize to all of the locals i hit in the face with my backpack on the bus...but, in my defense..they were badly overcrowded. we managed to find an apartment with a view to the beach and we set up camp for a week to enjoy the local restaurants and search for the one atm in operation out of the 13 we found. like we said, everything was closed...we even found a mcdonalds- CLOSED. i will say this, when you do find an open cafe and have 4 waiters and only 2 customers..the service is SPECTACULAR!! It was from this town we took a day trip to the famous jetsetter beach of brava. a mile long stretch of beautiful sand that sits in front of amazing holiday condos of the rich. we took a taxi into the area with no forethought of how we would be eating, drinking, returning..you get the picture..no planning. this place is a ghost town...every store closed. Do you recall the arby~s roast beef commercial..where he is standing in the streets yelling at the top of his lungs "where is everybody??"...i had to do it. this search continued throughout the day, we took turns sending eachother in different directions..with always the same result..nothing. i found that it is tougher to enjoy the beaches when you don~t know where your next meal or water is coming from. erin returned towards the end of the day to stop me minutes short of drinking sea water and said she had happened upon an open hotel that said they would serve us poolside. we sang and laughed through our meal that night and hopped in front of a passing bus to bring us back....this alone was a God send since there were few cars seen at all that day.
we continued on and found a great shack in the corner of the town Ingleses. this outside plumbed, questionable electricity, fortress-walled shack was perfect for a weeks stay and offered us a look into the "typico" neighborhood life here. It was unique as the town was surrounded by sand dunes that seemed to roll on and on and level off at the waters edge. we ran the beach at sunset to work off our new after-meal treat "dulce de leche"...dangerously yummy as a topping on just about everything. In the evenings we tried our hand at using the stone "parrilla" and cooked up steaks and vegetables on skewers and then settled back to watch the fire-flys dance around the courtyard...the night was so quiet and a perfect venue for the humming crickets. this two week long experience will be remembered for a long time.









Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



26th May 2007

yep
want to be there
29th May 2007

Living the good life!
I am enjoying your travel blog and you're giving me great ideas for my next vacation... Joe Walker
4th June 2007

Hi! spending great time as I can see..
Hi Shane and Emo, as I can see you are having a great stay in Brasil, I am happy to know about you. I am in Italy working, they offered me this consultancy project here in Milan and I am working here! I am having a great time! my email is dolopc@yahoo.com.ar if you want to right me, also please let me know yours!if you need anything in Buenos Aires please let me know. keep on having fun kisses Dolo

Tot: 0.411s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb