Rio - Copacabana


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro
January 24th 2005
Published: July 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

hey all,
much catching up to do... have been in rio for a few days staying on copacabana! very hard staying here and not singing the song everyday as you walk down the street.
we got in near midnight and headed straight out to Lapa with this aussie guy we met in the hostel who said there was a big street party going on. it was absolutly massive. not street party but a few city blocks party! dancing, drinking, music coming out of the walls it just doesnt stop in rio.
but we were up early the next day because our room was a sauna. we headed up to Cristo Redentor (Christ the Redeemer), the massive statue of christ that watches every part of rio. the clouds were low when we were there and every now and then when the wind shifted this overwhelming white pillar of jesus would appear before us... was perfect.
that night, again at around midnight we headed to the ´favellas´ for samba dancing. it was pre-carnaval rehearsal for one of the schools that often wins the carnaval competition so we were lucky to get in and see it. im not sure what time it started but from the moment we got in till when we left around 4 the music and the dancing did not stop. it was simply a big basketball court type building with the band up in the rafters, people up in the rafter and not an inch down on the floor empty with samba. it just didnt stop, the energy was totally contagious.
so the next day was a lazy beach day. ipanema is actually a much more happening and interesting beach than copacabana. but we got wind of a football game being played at maracana (one of the biggest stadiums) and headed there. forget the passion in the stadiums in euopean games, this was an out of season friendly and we got caught in a riot!! but before that broke out the stands are again just one big dance party, with non-stop drums, chants and dancing all over the seats. we the home side was down 3-0 the violence started to break out, firecrakers went off, loud bangs (??), so we headed to the other side of the stadium and sat with the winning teams supporters. a little fickle with our loyalties but better than being dead.
oh, and i cant go past the all you can eat absolute quality meal we had that night for only 5 dollars!
our final day we walked through the city. rio is truley a stunning city, loved it. if that was the energy and its partys just before carnaval its almost a shame we have left before it.

--dan--

When my baby, when my baby smiles at me I go to Rio!
Did much samba, drank caipirinhas and loved being in an amongst the pre-Carnaval buzz in Rio!
The pre-Carnaval samba was amazing - girls with feathered head pieces, glittery bikinis, and tiny g-strings!
Shaking it like you would not believe.. And the crowd was another exhibition in itself.. Woman of all ages, young and old just danced the night away. Dan and I weren´t sure how we felt about the young girls (8-13) shaking it though.
Managed to duck a Brazillian lad´s kiss too! And chuckle at his friend´s reaction when he saw big and tall Gringo Dan a few metres behind!
This was a party of a lifetime, and I couldn´t help but be swept away with the energy in this place..
Am almost tempted to lock Dan away so we can stay for Carnaval.

- Most spectacular tourist sight yet: Christo Redentor - gloriously floating in the clouds.

- Scariest moment: Football game at Macarana. Someone needs to tell these people that 'it´s just a game´

- Wishful souvenir list (if only I could fit them in my backpack.. shopping is prohibited till our last stop - maybe 2nd last but don´t tell Dan!):
Caipirinha´s, a luscious cocktail
Brazillian Bikinis, must be the smallest in the world

love to all from the copa - copa cabana (music and dancing etc etc)

xx haze xx





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Samba driverSamba driver
Samba driver

Dance while drive - our Cristo Redentor local who took us up to see the statue
Ipanema Ipanema
Ipanema

Overdressed on Ipanema
Brazillian coffeeBrazillian coffee
Brazillian coffee

ahhhh, not too shabby


Tot: 0.282s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 21; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb