'Pregnant woman, dog face!´


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro
May 14th 2008
Published: May 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello!

We arrived safely, but very sleepy, last week on Wednesday morning. Got to a nice little hostel run by a crazy lady, also Sophia, called 'Girl from Ipanema.´ Was ace, met some really nice people that we´ll hopefully be keeping in contact with. On the first day we chilled, soaking up the atmos on Ipanema beach, watching the youth of Rio posing and pouting around! In the evening we went to an insane football match (which we almost missed due to passing out in our room an hour before we were to leave) but got there somehow and really glad we did! The people are sooo passionate about the whole thing and the crowd is almost alight from a hazardous mix of flares and flag-flying! Was an interesting turn of events when the Rio side lost dismally and suddenly it was a mess of crying men, so we crept out slowly, minding not to get shot or something, and got back alive...

Next day we did a big tour of the city and got to see the classic sites like the huge Christo, some awesome arty steps that you can see in pics and the sugar loaf its very self! Wicked day, really felt like we knew the city after this. By complete contrast our next trip was a tour of the biggest favella (slum or shanty town) in Rio. Such an eye-opener, walking past drug-dealers with machine guns was something new... but that´s how they roll in the favellas and most of the people are the nicest you´d ever meet. Went to Lapa that night for a street party, by the way, if you´re ever in Rio the Caipirinhas are STRAIGHT! No mixer! I seemed to be the only person that didn´t know this and was a tiny bit worse for wear by the time Chris got me into a taxi home..!

Other than this, our days were spent chilling around the hostel or the beach, or being sick if you are Sophie! We had a really great few days in the city, and have now made the 18 hour bus ride to Florianoplis, a quiet beach town further South. We are sharing an apartment on the beach with a couple we met in Rio, making fresh fruit cocktails and cooking lots of fresh caught fish, all for under a pound! It´s an absolutely gorgeous place, but more on that one later.

Ciao for now amigos, hope you are all well, and enjoy/get jealous about a few photos we´ve attached.

Love Chris & Soph xxx

Ok scrap the photo idea, our grasp of Portugese instructions for cameras/computers doesn´t seem to be the strongest! Photos to come later!

Advertisement



16th May 2008

Sounds good!
Glad you survived the footie match and the neat cocktails AND the armed bandits - help what next! Do be careful and have lots of fun, the village sounds like paradise, lots of love to you both xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb