Carnavale, chaos, mahem, caipirinhas, and severe memory loss !!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro
February 22nd 2007
Published: February 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post


~sambodromo~
3 nights of parades where the opportunity to exhibit a full year´s worth of practice, training and hard work is put to the test.
various samba schools do their utmost to dazzle and impress
and they succeed
indeed they do succeed.
donned in our sparkly hats, we crammed into the stands with the locals and prepared ourselves for the sight of a life time.
fireworks signal the start of a new samba school and then nothing can prepare you for the music, the dancing, the glitter, the flesh, the antics, the feathers, the sequins and the atmosphere.
40 degree heat at midnight and the parading was only starting
each school takes about an hour to present their cosutmes, dance and music
on foot with everyone else, not enough room to even contemplate swinging a cat, captivating music that sends an instant message to your feet to move and samba their little hearts out ... sweat pouring down your face and no sign of the end of the parade ... thankfully a man comes by with beer and vodka drinks ... better take a water as well por favor!! more music ... different costumes ... check that out!! ... more dancing ... still sweating ... more beer and yes please, another water!!
~scala ball ~
more costumes and glitter (that stayed on us for days) frocked up and ready to party at the world´s most famous gay ball.
bumped out of the taxi and onto the street, it was straight onto the red carpet for cheering, clapping, waving and signing of autographs for some.
for those wanting to know what it feels like to be a celebrity ... this is the way to try it!!
i can confirm that something changes in the way one walks and smiles when there is a crowd 5 deep cheering you on ...
a full orchestral band of some 30 muscians rocked the venue with tunes that made our feet groove again.
still no relenting in the temperature and the beads of sweat were a permanent feature on the brow of most.
for many though, it didn´t matter as the costumes we scant and the beer was cold
the boys dressed to please the crowds and again sparkles, glitter, feathers and glamour were the theme of the evening
we´ll let the photos talk for themselves ...
enjoy!!





Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb