Rio de Janeiro


Advertisement
Published: October 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hello Everyone at St.Nicks.



I hope all is going well at school and that you have settled in well with your new teachers. This is our last day in Rio de Janeiro. We have been here for 5 days and had a lovely time. Rio is a place of great diversity. The buildings range from new skyscrapers, old crumbling buildings to Favelas with everything inbetween. The Favelas are amazing to look at because they are squeezed into very tight gaps and built on steep hillsides. Rio is a huge city, spreading through different valleys of mountains and has many different areas. There are lots of white sand beaches, bustling markets, city streets, old cobbled lanes and a huge tropical rainforest in the middle of the city! It is not like Bristol or how we think of a city!!!



We have to drink bottled water because the tap water isn’t very clean. The food is really cheap here, especially at the markets. We bought a pineapple, 4 passion fruits and 2 exotic fruits that we are not sure what they are called, all for £2. For our main meal a day we have been visiting places called ´por kilo cafes´ which are restaurants that give you a plate to fill youself. You pile your plate with whatever food you want and then they weigh your plate. You then pay an amount based on how heavy your plate is. It normally costs £2-£2.50.



We have visited 2 tourist attractions in Rio. The first was Christ the Redeemer, which is a huge statue of Jesus on top of a Corcovado mountain in the Tijuca Forest National, looking over Rio. The statue is 39.6 meters tall. The second was The Sugar Loaf Mountain. The Sugar Loaf Mountain (or Pão de Açúcar as the locals call it) needs 2 cable cars to get to the top! The first cable car ascends to the shorter Morro da Urca Mountain, (220m) and the second cable car takes you all the way to the top of Sugar Loaf which is 396 meters high. Both had amazing views!



Anyway, today we are going to go and have a walk around a suburb of Rio called Santa Teresa to see if we can find a local market.



Hope you are all happy,



Miss Thomas<em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">

Advertisement



1st October 2012

Good to hear your news
I will encourage the Didau girls to follow your blog. Where next?
4th October 2012

Hello from clevedon
It sounds fun, where are you going next?
10th October 2012

Hello Phoebe
It's lovely to hear from you. Hope you are enjoying school and have settled in to your new class. We are now in Colombia. I will update the blog soon. Miss T
7th October 2012

Sounds great. Just back from Canada & New England but can't wait to see Rio In Dec. Enjoy!

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb