Is it a hot flash or is it Rio?


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Leblon
December 3rd 2009
Published: December 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Once off the bus we immediately find Rio to be a little more tourist friendly with more English signs and more English spoken. As with Beijing, Brazil is determined to have more of their people speak English in time for the Olympics 2016. We were in Beijing six months before the 2008 games and all I can say is, let's hope Brazil is more prepared. We grab a taxi and head to our Couchsurfing's (CS) home. Vera and Bernardo live in a nice apartment in the Leblon neighborhood of Rio which is just one kilometer from Ipanema beach. You know the one with the girl. After settling in, meeting all the pets and getting a key, we head out for a long stroll down the beaches of Ipanema and Leblon. The breeze nicely refreshes us in the intense Rio sun. With Vera's recommendation and according to the walls inside, the recommendation of several magazines, we choose a late lunch at Fellini's buffet por quillo. Some of the dishes are average but others including the desserts are very noteable. At the super mercado we pick up a few groceries for breakfast and snacks. Vera's couchsurfing profile has specifically requested that guests bring their own food in. We respect that and suspect that she has had some guests help themselves. It's a story we've heard before, although never personally experienced. Dinner is at a nice older restaurant, but there is not enough pasta with the salt. We've experienced a considerable amount of salt in most of the food here in Brazil, but these meals definitely empty the shaker.
We have our own room but must share a bathroom. The pull out futon is really only for 1 person but we make do by pulling the mattress on the floor. Vera's home has wireless internet so we finally have a reliable source. Both of our hosts are physical ed teachers and Vera is a world ranked Tao Kwan Do competitor. They have 2 older boys together, one who is on an education change in Italy and the other is at home.
We are very fortunate as an overnight rain has cleared the sky of clouds and the blue clarity makes for a perfect viewing day on the top of Corcovado. The tram is surprisingly steep and after about 30 minutes we reach the top of the mountain. A few stairs and we are at the foot of the famous statue of Christ the Redeemer built in 1933. This symbol of Rio is imposing to say the least and the 360 degree view breathtaking. We are able to see all of the beaches including the famous Copacabana beach which is close to Impanema. There are a couple of cruise ships in port and we can see airplanes taking off and landing from the runways. Niteroi is just across the bay. Sugar Loaf is a recognizable landmark and the ocean stretches out beyond the horizon.
The return tram ride is memorable due to a large group of Brazilian students. I'm guessing high school seniors. The class clown is in rare form with imitations of Michael Jackson and impressing the tram car with his knowledge of English. Keith is recognized as Steven Spielberg and gives him the chance to impress the students with his limited Portugese and a Samba move as only Keith can perform. This is met with a roar of applause and a friendly farewell. After lunch we return by taxi to Leblon. Travelling through the immense tunnel which winds its way under Corcovado, I'm overwhelmed by heat. Is it a hot flash or is it Rio? Whatever it is, it feels like I've burst into flames. Luckily it's not too much longer until we're home and I can put out the fire with a nice cold shower.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb