Day 3


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Ipanema
August 4th 2013
Published: August 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Headed along to Christ the Redeemer in the morning - very lucky as was another sunny day and 32 c (in the middle of winter...). Chose to get a van up to the top rather than the tram as was a 2 hour wait to get the tram. Very easy to do and got amazing views over the city as it stopped halfway up to let us take photos. The top was very busy but got some good photos and more amazing views, and had our packed lunch at the top overlooking the lake.

Headed back to the hostel ready for the footy - Vasco da Gama vs Botafogo, a big Rio derby. Still struggling a tad with jetlag so had a kip before we went. Maracana looked amazing, was basically a giant bowl - in the style of the Nou Camp. Amazing atmosphere inside, with each teams fans at either end and us sat in the middle. Botafogo went 2 up (including a Clarence Seedorf beauty), before Vasco pulled one back just before half time with some Samba football. Vasco drew it level at the start of the second half, all the fans going wild. We jumped up at every goal so people probably a tad confused! Botafogo then scored a screamer to make it 3-2 and the game pretty much petered out after that, except for a Vasco open goal miss.

Had our first South American pizza for supper - apparently we ordered one with no tomato on...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb