Second Day in Rio


Advertisement
Published: May 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi,


Quick update. Yesterday I bought some Havianas, amazing flip flops, white with butterflies on them. Cute. In the evening we met up with some of Davids old tour group (who he explored bolivia, peru etc with) and we went out in Lapa, which is an area of Rio that is filled (in the evenings) with small exotic food and drinks stalls. Everyone dresses up and chills out, normally with some loud pumping brazilian music playing.


We relaxed for a bit, wandered round the stalls, and ended up in a small building which almost looked like a warehouse. There was an African band playing, with about 15 drums of different sizes, a conductor with his own snare drum, two singers and about 3 dancers on stage. The beats the drums produced were amazing, and the crowd that gathered were all dancing. Of the three dancers on stage one was a woman. Her grace was unbelievable. So was her dancing. When we got home I just crashed as I was so tired.


Today we had the benefit of Davids cousins local knowledge. We travelled the city in his car with Jacqui and Theodora from Davids tour group. We went over an amazing 14km bridge to Niteroi, which had great views of Sugar Loaf. We then went back to Lapa and saw the most amazing tiled steps (pics to follow hopefully) and then to Santa Teresa to wander the shops and cobbled streets.


Tonight we are going out in Ipanema, then tomorrow we are hopefully going to see Christ the Redeemer and then go to a Favela Funk Party!


Love to all.
S x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb