Rio de Janeiro


Advertisement
Published: March 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sugar LoafSugar LoafSugar Loaf

Sugar Loaf from one of the Rio beaches
Ok so we headed outa Dublin airport eventually...both gald that we were finally in the air. Journey over wasn´t too bad, better than expected. We landed in Rio and was it hot, by the time we arrived at our hostel we were two toffe apples...very sticky. The first day we just hung out in Ipanema & Copacobana area, walking around getting a feel for the place. Chilled out on the beach that evening loving the fact that we weren´t in work.
Second day we went to see Fluminese v Nacional in a Brazilian Cup game in Maracana Staduim, good to see but there was too few people there for the whole atmoshpere thing (my view cause she´s a girl and doesn´t get it!!) .. the stadium is amazing holds 115,000 seated but they only allow 90,000 to games because of safety??? they don´t seem to care about safety elsewhere but guess this is futebol their religion so thats ok!! They even close the bars etc around the place for 2 hrs before and after to stop trouble. Pity place wasn´t busier but boy can they make noise savage. Can only imagine though what it would be like when full, considering the
Copacobana BeachCopacobana BeachCopacobana Beach

View of the famous beach from Sugar Loaf
noise only 5,000 fans made.
Next day headed over to Urca (Sugar Loaf) in the morming, yes they have one too but it doesn´t look anything like ours!! Honestly didn´t really get the wow factor, there were some cool views of the city though. think Eddie enjoyed it more. We met a guide, Marcel who then took us over to Corcovado (the big christ on the hill) which we were both very impressed with, the views all around the city were really cool and the statue itself was mad when viewed from a distance, towering over the city if a bit creepy.
On the Sat while Dee died in bed ... swearing never ever to drink G & T again... I went for a walk about in the Favela (the slum of the city and according to the brasilians the biggest in south America?? .. it is big tho. Guy Nunda was my guide .. got VIP status... he lives in the place aswel. Completely not what I expected as in I was thiinking dirt roads and trails with wooden boxes as houses but wasn´t, tarred roads brasilian style and little side alleys and streets through the houses all brick of various mix match but all fairly clean and orderly. People in it were really friendly and given I was on my own with the guy he was stopping off chatting to friends and even dropped in for tea with his Ma, lovely woman pity I couldn´t understand her but think she said I was lovely!! (at this point Dee is going ...BARF!!) Place is amazing orderly and well organised and ran. Full of motorbikes flying about the place some 3000 in tiny area. Definitely recommend doin it to anybody who goes to Rio.
Drank on the streets that night ..our last.. with others from hostel and bussed it out to Parati Sunday afternoon...




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0203s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb