More Rio de Janeiro...


Advertisement
Published: July 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

´Girl from Ipanema´ Hostel´Girl from Ipanema´ Hostel´Girl from Ipanema´ Hostel

14 to a room and 30 to a shower but very reasonably priced...
Bom Gio

Polly:

Well we are really loving Rio. We moved hostels after 2 nights as it was a bit rough round the edges, and sleeping in a 14 bed dorm was quite hectic. Thought we´d ease ourselves in a bit more gently so moved to the Ipanema Beach House. It´s nearly twice the price but really pretty and has a pool and a bar area to sit out and meet other travellers. It also includes a great all you can eat breakfast to we can fill up for the day and save on lunch. Ross successfully ate 4 cheese and ham rolls the other morning. We haven´t started making cheeky lunches but I´m sure it won´t be too long.

The weather has been amazing for the last few days, about 25-27C but not at all humid. It only cools down about 5C in the evening. It hasn´t been hot hot so that you need to jump in the pool, but it´s a great temperature, and not what we expected for the Brazilian winter.

We went to Sugarloaf yesterday which was amazing. We hiked up Urca mountain, then took the cable car from the top of Urca
´Girl from Ipanema´ Hostel´Girl from Ipanema´ Hostel´Girl from Ipanema´ Hostel

Outside in the courtyard.
up to Sugarloaf. The hike was up a steep unmarked path through rainforest. I wasn´t convinced we´d gone the right way and half expected to come out in the middle of a tribe, but Bear Grills was spot on and after about 30 minutes of deserted hiking the sun shone through and we came out into a clearing. Well earned beer at the top as we sat on sun loungers and looked out over Rio. Crazy little monkeys there which were funny and looked like old men.
We then got the cablecar up to Sugarloaf, which was even more spectacular. The views were stunning and gave us a real idea of the size of Rio. There´s hills and mountains and little islands everywhere. We stayed up and watched the sun go down, then back to the hostel for a few beers. Ended up chatting to some dutch guys and went to a couple of bars with them. Feeling ropey today. I missed breakfast so I got my towel and went to sleep it off on the beach.

Later this afternoon we dropped our stuff back at the hostel then went back down the beach for a swim. it was
Polly, Lagoa and Christo RedentorPolly, Lagoa and Christo RedentorPolly, Lagoa and Christo Redentor

Christ´s statue is on the top of the hill in the distance.
quite warm and the waves were really strong. There was a penguin swimming with us which was really cool.

Ross is just on the other computer looking at hostels just up the coast. We´re thinking of heading to Buzios in 3 days, then maybe to an island, Ihla Cabo Frio.

We´ve really enjoyed Rio so far. It´s bustling and fun, and really pretty. There´s loads of beautiful people, when Tam asked me I said I had´t seen that many, then the sun came out the beach was full of pert buttocks. The men really love their speedos. Loads of people have funny little puff ball white dogs, and many wear little shoes or wellies when it rains. We saw one today with booties, a coat and a hat held on with elastic.

Tommorow we hope to vist the Christ Statue, and visit a couple of different areas, then maybe go to a favela the next day. Everyone that´s been have really raved about it and say it´s not all "City of God".


Ross:

Had 2 more injuries - today´s involved head-butting the sea bed whilst diving under a wave.

Enjoyed the football muchos.
Maracana StadiumMaracana StadiumMaracana Stadium

Attendance was 47,500 but the place was half empty. The atmosphere was still amazing though.
Flamengo won 3-0. The atmosphere was amazing and the local crowd were singing constantly. Massive flags and loads of drums, fireworks and flares. We were in the home supporters end so were in the middle of all the action. Minibus driver was a bit mental though...

The hostel we´re in now is a lot more sociable but a bit like Big Brother with people being evicted (and arriving) more frequently. There´s a really annoying 18 year old girl who won´t shut up (and is sat on the computer next to me at the moment...) but other than that it´s alright. We´ve eaten in the last 2 nights to keep costs down.

Met a guy from Bridgend and a girl from Llantwit Major last night - bloody Welsh get everywhere!

Obrigado e bom noite...



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Flamengo FansFlamengo Fans
Flamengo Fans

Maracana madness in the Flamengo end!
Ipanema Beach HouseIpanema Beach House
Ipanema Beach House

Slightly chilly pool
Sweeney ToddSweeney Todd
Sweeney Todd

The clippers I can handle but the cut-throat shave was a bit scary!
Urca & Sugar LoafUrca & Sugar Loaf
Urca & Sugar Loaf

Nice quiet beach with Sugar Loaf Mountain in the distance (not the one near Abergavenny!)
Welcome to the Jungle...Welcome to the Jungle...
Welcome to the Jungle...

Polly treking up Sugar Loaf through an area of protected coastal rainforest.
BamboooooBambooooo
Bambooooo

Ross doing his Bear Grills bit
Injury No. 3Injury No. 3
Injury No. 3

Caused as a result of me getting him to pose in the bamboo!
Up Urca mountain Up Urca mountain
Up Urca mountain

Beer o´clock


11th July 2008

injuries galore...
Hi guys, by the time you get back there wont be any of you left at this rate Ross - and you will stub the same toe many many times... trust me its always the same one and eventually your nail drops off! yuck! anyway looks like you guys started well its gorgeous in Brazil keep the blogs coming i'm getting tips for my next trip ;-). Have a good one x

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb