Back to Rio


Advertisement
Published: July 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Back to Rio



This was a bit annoying but due to the circumstance of the flights that we booked we had to return to Rio, despite the fact that the iguassu falls are about half the way to our next destination. It did however give us a chance to see the only "must do" activity we had missed in Rio which was to visit the Maracana stadium.

I think that visiting a stadium with such history and reputation as the maracana is always going to proce a little dissapoining, especially as this one has the all time highest football attendance of 199,000. It was though interesting to visit all the the typical stadium sites such as the changing rooms etc, especially thinking of all the famous names to have graced them. But as always, in my opinion anyway, the inevitable hoards of tourists that grace the stadium take away any emotional experience that could be gained. I hope saying that doesnt sound too negative though as it really was something i am glad i did.

I have waited until now (as in now i have left) to say this as i didnt want to tempt fate in an
Peles FootprintPeles FootprintPeles Footprint

There was also the animal himselfs footprint - Edmundo - but unfortunately no Pedrinho for those who know what that means
negative way, but we really didnt have any trouble or any horribele situations occur while we were in Rio. I think that we were a little cautious given the reputaution - and i would advise anyone to be the same - but it really didnt feel any different or any more intimidating than any other large city, except maybe a little paranoia felt by myself.

Anyway that is Brazil done for us, I was a little dissapointed with the reception that the natives greeted the explaining of the origin of Corinthians name (although i suppose they are a Sao Paulo team), but apart from that it was great to visit a city i had always dreamed of seeing.

Tom

07/06

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb