Rio - Downpour, Doys and Dirty Bars!


Advertisement
Published: April 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

View from Sugar Loaf MountainView from Sugar Loaf MountainView from Sugar Loaf Mountain

Glorious weather in Rio!?!
So made it to the airport and caught the plane to Rio De Janeiro, Arrived Monday 17th April and caught an extortionately priced radio cab to Ipanema.... Gary lost his wallet in the taxi and we got caught in a monsoon looking for a hostel..... Not the best of starts!!
After 24 hours of rain things did improve.... Tuesday took the cable car up Sugar Loaf Mountain, but unfortunately it was overcast.....

Wednesday went to Corcovado to see JC and took the cog train up the mountain.... definately the best views in Rio and timing was excellent as the cloud broke for sunset....

To clarify DIRTY BARS are not what you might think..... the name comes from a French traveller in our hostel called Omar who referred to the street bars where the locals drink and the beer is cheapest..... which happen to be dirty, but are cheap with 600ml of beer costing just 3 Real...
Doys is Portuguese for two, and soon realised very few Brasilians will acknowledge any Spanish, so DOS is DOYS... and I will be very confused when I get to Argentina

From Rio moved to the Costa Verde and took the ferry from Angor Dos Reais to Ilhe Grande (a massive island come eco-tourist resort).....trekked over the mountain 2.5 hours to Lopes Mendes, supposedly the best beach in Rio..... Rented a shack with a couple of Israelis and 3 English travellers we ran into.... just as well as a public holiday made the island very expensive and our digs were just a local persons house rather than the expensive pousadas most tourists rent...

Moved down the coast to a place callled Parati with giant cobbled streets..... and in about an hour I catch the bus to Sao Paolo.....



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Grant Mitchell does RioGrant Mitchell does Rio
Grant Mitchell does Rio

View of Sugar Loaf from Corcovado
Ipanema BeachIpanema Beach
Ipanema Beach

Missing my desk in the office park... not a chance! anyone jealous yet??


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb