Rio Rio Rio


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Copacabana
October 24th 2008
Published: October 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Where do I start?

From the last report in LaPaz, we had an exhaustive days travel to Rio. A total of 3 flights - with stopovers in Santa Cruz in Bolivia, Sao Paulo (the largest city in Brazil with 19 million ppl), then Rio. All the flights were good - although the first two which were with Aerosur (Bolivia’s national airline) and the plane and service were both very spartan. Not so much as a single tv in the first model 737-200. Since the definition of a good flight is one which takes off and lands without incident, all were GOOD flights! Customs and immigration was as exhaustive as any we have seen in Africa.

Not to worry!

Today - Rio. We overslept as we forgot to take into account that we had to move the clock forward 2 hours, and when Pete stirred at 8.10, we knew we were going to be pushing for our 9.am tour start.

We made it albeit 2-3 minutes late (breakky was again yummy but we didn’t have time to enjoy it!)

First stop Christ the Redeemer statue (THE Rio landmark). A bus trip thru downtown and a cog train up the hill to the statue with quite a few other tourists. We again had a magnificent day, and the photo opportunities were endless. Some were a little difficult as we were sharing with Americans (join the dots …) but Rio is a fascinating place (11 million people).

The cog train was good - but less exciting than the train in say, Hong Kong or Georgetown (Penang), as it passes through heavily wooded rainforest, and there are very few times where you feel exposed because of the terrain. The picture of the statue say it all, but the whole presentation is brilliant (even better I’m sure on a good day such as today).

On the pictures on this blog, they undersell the experience, and when we return, we will show the full resolution pics - which are wayyyyy better!

The statue was complemented by a visit to the Carnevale site (didn’t really know that it was in fact restricted to a particular (formal - which costs a small fortune to attend) site - but it is. Some of the group tried on some rentable costumes but we didn’t bother …..).

Then, guess what - a cathedral. This one more than a little bit different since it is in the shape of a cone - with open concrete construction (to assist with circulation on a hot day), copious stained glass windows, and a small chapel in the back.

After that we were treated to a seafood lunch. While drinks weren’t included, I must say that the buffet - followed by the delivered ‘specials’ was probably the best meal I have ever had. Caviar, king prawns (3 different ways AND the highlight in my view), oysters, lobster (3 ways), soups, salads, fish, octopus , were supported by shrimps, calamari, and a range of fish casseroles.

This was great - and the 600 ml of local beer were good value.

Additionally, the staff at the restaurant were fantastic. They were attentive - but brought out copious paraphernalia supporting the heavily marine theme of the restaurant. Silly hats were the order of the day (did Columbus ever have ANYTHING to do with the Vikings?????).

The day was great but we walked back to the hotel, changed, then went for a paddle in the cool Atlantic water. Swimming is out of the question.

Copacabana (where our beachfront hotel is) is fantastic, and after our paddle, we each had an ice cream (on the beach), then subsequently, a beer. Local beer is good! (Chris BTW had a Pepsi Light).

We all love the feel of this place. It is alive (and at sea level (relatively) which helps).

Tomorrow, we have a visit to Sugarloaf Mountain, with its great view of the City, and a cable car that handles many people per trip.

I will correspond then!

Bye for now

Ian and Chris.



Advertisement



24th October 2008

Happy Birthday
It looks as though the party has begun. Have a very special Happy Birthday Chris. Lots of Love from Bob and Mer.xxxxxxxxxxxx
24th October 2008

What pictures????
Well I guess we'll have to wait for them. By the way, I gave your blog site to John Szady, Pter's mate from the choir who was keen to see what you were all up to. You may get a few comments from John. Enjoy Rio. John

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0808s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb