Her name was Lola..


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Copacabana
September 13th 2008
Published: September 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We set off from Ilha Grande on the dodgiest of small boats, with rainclouds looming & water sloshing in from the side. We arrived at the port where we were picked up by a van and a car. 4 of us dove for the car, me shotgunning for passenger seat and set off for the final destination of our tour, Rio de Janeiro. Oh my god we´re going to RIO!!!

We arrived at our hotel a block back from Copacabana beach, flung our gear in our rooms, raided the ATM (all the while watching over our shoulders, there´d been plenty of scaremongering about how dodgy the area is and how susceptible we will be to getting mugged), and were picked up to go on a tour of this lovely, and ridiculously large, city of Rio de Janeiro.

First stop was Christ the Redeemer, which at 38 metres high, including the base, doesn´t quite loom over the city like you´d think, but still very impressive all the same. Earlier when we were driving into Rio an argument unfolded as to whether ´that thing up there´was Christ the Redeemer or just a mobile phone tower. It was infact the statue, albeit
Sao Sebastiao CathedralSao Sebastiao CathedralSao Sebastiao Cathedral

Not so flash on the outside.
on a cloudy day.

We did a quick drive by of Rio´s most famous football stadium, Maracana, went into Sao Sebastio Cathedral which from the outside looked like some ug government building (not dissimilar to Wellington´s beehive) but had the most magnificent stained glass windows inside, well worth a visit. Had a quick spin through where they host Rio´s Carnaval every February (did a small shimmy) and then onto Sugar Loaf mountain via cable car. A bit of a letdown as the top of Sugar Loaf was completely encompassed by cloud... being troupers we still went up anyway. The first mountain we stopped at had a great view though. We left there at about 6 pm and the lights of Rio were shining happily, such a gorgeous city.

That night we had the final dinner of our tour and i´m really going to miss those buggers. I was a tad apprehensive about doing a tour as this was my first one, but everyone was brilliant and always up for a good time.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Sugar LoafSugar Loaf
Sugar Loaf

alas, not the best view..


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb