The Amazing Rio


Advertisement
Published: July 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, we have arrived to the end of our trip, and what an amzing city to celebrate our five weeks. Everything about Rio is amazing. It is vibrant, colourful and it has the most unbelievable landscape that a city can be built around. Every poster and photograph you have ever seen can´t do it enough justice, because everywhere you look is pretty unbelievable.
We arrived in the afternoon and headed straight for Christ the Redeemer. It really does overlook the city and it is placed up on the top of the granite hill. When you get up to it, the magnitude and detail is really cool, and the view over Rio is fantastic. It was a great way to start our adventure.
That night we headed out for some Churrasco to celebrate our final evening with the group. This was also another great meal, but there is only a certain amount of meat and delicious salad a girl can eat (they usually sell it by weight, and you buy the meat by the kilo!). We gave it a good try though!
We were staying a street away from Copacabana beach, so our next day started with a walk along it, and boy is it full of life. The previous evening the locals wouldn´t let anyone actually step onto the sand as it is too dangerous, but by day, the place seems like a really fun and gorgeous beach. It was a lot cleaner than we expected and the avenue is dotted with these cool bar/kiosks, so there is a relaxed attitude about the whole place. We then headed to Sugar Loaf mountain for some more amazing views of Rio. Amy pushed aside her fear of heights and we jumped aboard the cable cars. We spent a relaxing couple of hours chilling out, overlooking the beaches and life of Rio.
We decided that as we had got an Argetinian soccer experience we would also try out for a Brazilian one. We saw a game in a really new stadium, built for the Pan Am games, we think. The winning team, Botafogo won 4-0, so it wasn´t much of a contest. The atmosphere wasn´t half as crazy or agressive as the Argentinian match, but the contant drums and samba tunes were really catchy.
Our final morning was spent wandering Ipenema and Copacabana beaches some more. What a fantastic way to end the trip- fresh fruit juice and crepes.... (and maybe a few more pina coladas) on the beach. This is definitely a place to put on your list of cities to visit before you die!... Returning to winter in Sydney won´t be fun. We've been lucky enough to experience 5 weeks of sun and blue skies, with not a drop of rain touching our heads...hmmm...

So . . . as they say, that´s it folks.

South America is a mind blowing continent. Each country and culture is diverse and defined and this has created a very rich experience. It has certainly lived up to all of our long held expectations, and constantly surprised us too. I mean, a magician in a restaurant? A crazy fashion show on a train? ABBA as a constant soundtrack to everything? We haven´t stopped smiling (except maybe when the miliatry police stormed the bus . . . but truth be told, Kath snuck a little one, and one of the dudes with a gun gave a little smile back . . . see even when potentially shooting someone, there is warmth!).

Thank you South America and Intrepid..... we loved every bit!
cant wait to chat to you all more about it once we get home (post 30 hr flight..).


Ciao!



Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



21st July 2008

What a fantastic trip you had! Definitely not boring!!! Well done both of you, wonderful to have you home again. Can't wait to hear EVERYTHING!!! Hugs as always. xoxo
22nd July 2008

hola!
love you girls!! looks like you had a wicked time! and your pics are fab. i am in cordoba, argentina!! and the steak is AMAZING!!! (and red wine too). hooray!!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb