Ciudade del Este and a long smelly 24 hours to Rio


Advertisement
Published: March 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

One of the longest queues in the worldOne of the longest queues in the worldOne of the longest queues in the world

This queue was just the outside part. It then went into a building and came out the other end and as far as we could see, ended with people showing their paperwork to one Brazilian dude in a tight t-shirt who glanced at it and sent people on their way!
After visiting the Brazilian side of the falls in the morning, we decided to have another go at Ciudade del Este in Paraguay in the afternoon. This time we went by bus and didnt go through immigration - we checked that you needn't do all that faff if you're just doing a day trip- and besides, we've got the passport stamps now!!

We had both decided that a posh camera for some of the more spectacular scenery would be a good investment so we started our bargain hunt. It turned out to be a very stressful afternoon. As it was the Thursday before a long Easter weekend every shop we went in decided to tell us that they were about to close and that if we wanted a camera we needed to buy it then and there! Well, we weren't going to fall for that but after getting so close two days ago, we did start panicking and even more so when more and more shutters went down and our bluffs were called!

Eventually we found a good deal and both bought the same camera (we have since found out that it was a lot cheaper than in UK so that's a relief!!) We then got straight on the bus for fear of getting mugged and were really pleased with ourselves until we got stopped at customs entering Brazil and searched.

Apparently we had spent just over the limit for tax-free goods to come back into Brazil and so were shown the way to one of the longest queues I have ever seen (see picture) in order to pay what would come out to be around US$40. It was amazing how many people were there and after an hour without moving, I got a bit impatient and went to talk to one of the officials in very broken Brazilian protuguese/Spanish/ Sign language (I hate not being able to speak the language!!). Well, something worked and eventually he took our paperwork, had a word with his manageress, she looked at us, smiled and then stamped the necessary documents and sent us on our way without paying. Hmmm I have just realised its probably not the best idea to be writing all this on the internet for all to see. Oh well. We were happy anyway. I still have no idea how or why that man managed to help us but I am very glad he did!! I think otherwise we'd still be there now!

Anyway the next morning we made our way to the bus station and got seats on the midday bus taking 24 hours to Rio de Janeiro. The bus itself was a lot more comfortable than the one from Buenos Aires as they only tried to squeeze 3 instead of 4 seats across. All in all the journey was painless (although still with stinky loo, a strange alcoholic man who found everything he said to us in Portuguese a bit too funny and some other woman who honestly couldn't control the volume of her voice and got on a bit too well with aforementioned alcoholic man - they were a deadly combination for the full 24 hours!). At 5am we awoke to the bus driver saying something and everyone getting off the bus and changing to another (much crapper) one in Sao Paulo.

Apart from that the journey passed without any major incident and we arrived safe and sound in Rio on-time the next day!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb