Rockin' Rio


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Copacabana
October 24th 2007
Published: December 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I'm not gonna talk a lot about Rio, mainly because we didn't do an awful lot. What we did do was have a lot of fun and I would recommend anyone to go. The only problem with Rio is that it's pricey; if you want to go out its as expensive as the UK.

That said we did cram in the major sights and spend a good while on the beach. Both Copacabana and Ipanema beaches are fantastic; on the weekend they are packed with tens of thousands all in speedos or thongs regardless of shape, size or age - power to the people, and there are plenty of oppotunities to embarass yourself playing kick-ups with the Brazilians.

The Favela tour is well worth a look - again its expensive but really informative and a real eye-opener, plus a big cut of the price goes to supporting a day care centre for young slum children. The Favela we went to (Rocinha) alone makes US$4 million each month from the sale of drugs and guns (and they say crime doesn't pay). The way it works there is they have a network of "managers" called the ADA (Amigos de Amigos or
Free cable and Electricity.Free cable and Electricity.Free cable and Electricity.

Does anyone pay for anything in the Favelas - NO!
friends of friends) generally around 17-20 years old. If anyone does anything remotely wrong from stealing a chocolate bar to commiting adultery they get punished badly, maybe even killed and burried inside the Favela. This actually makes them a relatively safe place to live, everyone being to scared to belch at the table! The reason for this is it keeps the police out which suits both parties as they are happy with their share of the profits and are actually pretty busy in Rio without dealing with the Favelas. Have a look at the photo LINHA DE MORTE ADA - line of death ADA. If anyone wants to come to the Favela to make trouble they get boxed in the alleyway created by the wall and they don't get passed or leave, hence the name.

We also went to a Favela party which was amazing. Thousands of people jammed into a warehouse having a ball. All the local guys looked like gangster rappers with no shirts, big chains and lots of tattoos - all friendly though, its also very amusing to make the gringos dance apparently!

Other than that we did a lot of parting with all the guys from Bariloche plus a few more and went to see the big fella on the top of the mountain and a football game at the national stadium. (see pics) - all in all it was a very good but expensive week.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb