Rio - Day 1 - The Sugar Loaf Mountain


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Copacabana
February 16th 2007
Published: February 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It was a pity that the Sugar Loaf was in clouds and so was the mountain opposite, which was hiding the sun. Never mind.

The Aussie girls left earlier. Vic and I had to get back to our place by ourselves. We found that the taxi drivers right outside the ticket office wanted to charge three times higher than the normal metered price for a taxi for the distance to our hostel. We refused. I suggested walking up to and along the main street and was right, we quickly got on a metered taxi and paid the fair price.

That night we went to another "quilo" place, which was ok, nothing great. But I enjoyed having the choice of picking bits of different deserts to try instead of having to pick just one. We were a bit unhappy, when we realised that we paid 1/3rd more than we should have. We are hoping that the overcharge was not malicious but rather an unintentional one. Not great of a deal, either way.


It was Friday night and most of the people from our hostel went partying in Lapa (the Rio version of Soho). They all left after 11pm even though some had started gathering since 7pm. I wanted to go out but I also wanted to go to bed early, which turned out to be 1AM! Hmmm…


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 84; dbt: 0.0703s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb