Dental Floss Bikinis and Jumping Kangaroos


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Copacabana
February 17th 2007
Published: February 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

ParadiseParadiseParadise

White sandy beaches...
Peering out the window of our 12th floor apartment on Copacabana beach we can see a stretch of coastline that usually adorns the computer screen saver of office workers. Mountains that sink into the sea, wide boulevards lined with palm trees, white sandy beaches dotted with coloured umbrellas and people splashing in the cool atlantic ocean.

There is a massive market selling futbol shirts, buffalo hand bags, an assortment of handicrafts, fairy floss, bikins, masks and of course Havianas.

Along the beach, touts sell sliced watermelon, cold beers, prawns!, sunglasses sarongs, blow up paddle pools, jewellary and laundry baskets. (Yep, i am not sure why either). They traipse up and down the beach all day in the searing heat, hoping to catch the eye of a thirsty beach goer. We often help them out by enjoying an ice cold beer.

They say Brasil invented the Fio Dental Bikini (dental floss bikini) and they are the only style on the beaches, on the streets, in the shops and yes, even in restaraunts.

Whilst the cliched body beautiful does exist in Brazil, it doesnt seem to be the majority. Gstring bikins can be found on (or up as the
Beach VendorsBeach VendorsBeach Vendors

Making a living selling sarongs
case may be) women of all shapes and sizes, and there is no shortage of Sungas (budgie smugglers) for the blokes either. (You can spot the aussie boys quietly covered in their boardshorts).

They say Ipanema means dangerous waters and its pretty true for Copacabana also. The waves are forceful and the current enough to knock you off your feet. The kids love throwing themselves into it and being dragged along but most people are a bit more cautious and prefer go up to their knees and fill water bottles to pour over themselves.

The streets are clean and security is omnipresent. People are quick with a smile and appreciate even an awful effort at portugese. A few resort to jumping like a kangaroo when they find you are from Australia, but most are relieved when they realise you are not American.

The local buses are easy to catch, however staying upright and trying not to break your limbs is a challenge with the drivers being more suited to the Grand prix and the vehicles needing a total overhaul and new gearbox.

Making you way to the top of nearby mountains rewards you with panaramic views of the city. Rio is divided by mountains and water, with each suburb having its own flavour and boasting something special be it good samba, great juice bars, fabulous shopping, sensational beaches or restaraunts.

Its a city that you could see yourself living in.

And of course it wouldn't be carnaval time without an ever present sound of samba and music.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

SandasstlesSandasstles
Sandasstles

Even the sandcastles dont wear pants


23rd February 2007

String - Bikinis
I'm not sure what 'dental floss bikini' mean? Please send me some photos so that I can get a clearer picture. Great blog entries - very descriptive and articulate! Keep up the good work - travel safe! Brett
24th February 2007

;)
Hey Mel, glad to see(read) that you're having a great time! Where are the pics of the said Fio Dental Bikini ;) haha - take care, looking forward to the next journal entry. Cheers, Clarry.

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb