Amazing


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Copacabana
February 16th 2007
Published: February 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So we are finally in Brazil, thanks to an expected snow storm it took us a little longer than expected to make it here, but were here and that´s what matters!

Thursday - Our first full day was spent at the beach. We´re staying in a hostel in Copacabana beach not more than 3 blocks from the shore line. The entire sidewalks are black and white marble mosaics hand placed in geometric patterns. You walk through the nieghbourhoods and cant help but be captivated by the lush vegetation, I saw plam trees over 12 stories high.
The beach is beautiful, the waves were so huge that it was actually dangerous to swim. So we sprawled out and just took it all in. The beach is paraded by vendors who pretty much sell anything you could want, even skimpy bathing suits if you had acidentally forgotten your own. We spent the rest of the night strolling around and had dinner at a resturant in Leme just north of Copa. It turns out deep fried cheese is Brazil´s prefered food...

Friday - We set out for Corcovado, the infamous location of the gigantic Jesus. We had our first adventure on public transit, hitting up the metro and then the bus. I love that no matter which city you go to the under ground transit is always universal. As a bonus everything is air conditioned, I suppose considering it hit 32 C today it is required! We got to the base of the mountain and hired a car to take us up. We got to make a mid trip stop and see the entire city and monument from tow different locations. We winded up this steep street which weaved through magnificent jungle and neighbourhoods. The views were spectacular, you got a full panarama of Rio and all it´s neighbourhoods. The monument was a bit of a tourist extravaganza, everyone trying to capture their pics but it is pretty phenomenal to be up so high and realize the workmanship devoted to Christ the Redeemor. It is the only modern sculpture of it´s kind completed by carlos Velho and took over 30 years to complete. This evening we´re headed to Sugar Loaf another high altitude stop to watch the sun set.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Mod Art GallryMod Art Gallry
Mod Art Gallry

...it was closed


16th February 2007

The start of your journey
Sounds like a great way to start your trip. Have fun, be safe and keep us updated.
17th February 2007

good start
wow ladies sounds like all is going very well still freezing cold here so enjoy ervery minute of sun looking forward to seeing some pics xo
17th February 2007

jealous
If u only knew how jealous I am.... or should i say u should be jealous of me TBay is fabulous we are reaching a high of zero on monday!! only to go back down to -22 Whoot whooot!!!! awww glad everything is goin well, its a much deserved vacation. can't wait to see pictures, looking forward to your next entry (it puts a smile on my face)
19th February 2007

Tash - it sounds like you both are already having a blast. Wish I could be there!! Take lots of pics and I can't wait til you guys get back!! Have Fun!!
21st February 2007

Ola
Thanks for the great time ladies!! Love you!!
23rd February 2007

Sounds great!
Everything sounds fantastic, take it all in and continue to share with us! Stay safe, and ENJOY! Cheers to you both!

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0718s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1.1mb