Rio - Maracana


Advertisement
Published: March 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Karen and Tony say

Back to Rio to catch a game of fitba at the famous Maracana. The only game that we could fit in to our schedule was Fluminense v Cabofriense, unfortunately we had just missed a huge derby the week before. Nevertheless, we were both happy to go to any match just so we could experience Brazil's temple of soccer. The Maracana can easily accommodate more than 100,000 spectators, however at our match the stadium was no way near full.

Even so the fans made their presence known, creating a lively and loud atmosphere that even Tony admits comes close to that of the Tartan Army Roar. One thing we both preferred about the Brazilian game was the endless supply of munchies and refreshments, everything from beer, coffee, crisps, hotdogs, nuts and ice creams.

We decided to sit next to a lively and colourful bunch of fans, who were part of a Fluminense supporters club and after taking a few snaps settled down to watch the match.

We wont give you a running commentary of the game, but Fluminense won 3 -1 showing their class with some great finishing. There were flashes of the famous Brazilian flair with some good wing play from both teams, each team had a flying winger who loved to repeatedly skin the defenders.

The fans certainly enjoyed the occassion as you can see! Each goal, free kick or corner was celebrated by the fans drumming, cheering and burning fireworks and flares brightly. It was often more fascinating to watch and listen to the nearby drummers as they kept a constant rhythm changing from fast samba beats to to dramatic pounding to mirror what happened on the pitch.

So we had a great night which we will both remember, thats for sure!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



14th March 2008

Footie
Thats all very good guys, but I'm sure it doesn't compare to Dunfermline Vs Hamilton at East End Park
16th March 2008

Scouting mission?
Did you spot any players good enough to join the Pars fitba school of excellence?
19th March 2008

LoadsaBalls
Well, you know how I feel about fitBA, but I do think that even I would have enjoyed being there, drums and fireworks, right up my street.Kenny will be jealous when I tell him, he would just love it.xx
22nd March 2008

Footie mad!
Bet you guys are luvin the footie action. Iv still never been to a game yet. Might be something on the list when you bet back.

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0162s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb