Driving through Brazil


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Paraty
February 1st 2013
Published: February 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

From Foz we headed to Brazil’s Southern Pantanal. The Pantanal is a vast wetland that covers much of inland and central Brazil, staying on a cattle ranch we spent a few days getting up close and personal with the Brazilin wildlife. Heading out on horseback we traversed the ranch viewing an amazing amount of birdlife in the tree tops, hundreds of macaws and parakeets, some toucans, kingfishers, storks, kites and hawks. On night safaris we hoped for jaguars but were happy to see ocelot, capybara and giant ant eaters.

When not out viewing the wildlife there was a huge pool, amazing food, cold beers……

From the Pantanal it was a short drive to Bonito – described as the ecotourism capital of Brazil. Surrounding Bonito are crystal clear rivers, natural springs and caves. We spent a couple of days chilling out in some of the fresh water pools, snorkelling, swimming and generally trying to cool off from the 30+ heat that’s descended. With the humidity at stupid levels and whilst staying in a dorm room without aircon we were up and out early in the day looking for water to cool off in. It wasn’t all water based activities, Saturday afternoon was spent, beer in hand watching the first England game of the six nations.



From Bonito we headed to the town of Brotas, for a morning of white water rafting and an evening of caipirinha drinking in the local campsite.



My final stop before reaching Rio was 3 nights spent in Paraty on the Emerald coast. The Emerald coast stretches south from Rio de Janerio, a thin strip of land sandwiched between verdant green mountains and the sparkling waters of the Atlantic. This close to carnival the town was in full party mode, we spent the days either out on a party boat cruising the coves and inlets along the coast, drinking cocktails and jumping from the top deck into the cooling waters below or wandering the quaint cobbled streets of the town stopping for a drink or bite to eat in the little cafes and bars that fill the town. In the evenings the bar a short walk from our campsite shook in its foundations to the sounds of an extremely lively Argentine ska band, the music accompanied by juggling, acrobatics, fancy dress and fire juggling kept us dancing till the early hours every night.



Whilst I’m not 100% sure the best way to get ready for the biggest party of your life that carnival is said to be is to party hard and arrive knackered, it’s definitely given me a taste of things to come for Rio. We leave in the morning for a 3 hour drive to Brazils capital city, where all being well i’ll find my accommodation and my friend Natalie from home without too much issue, dump my bags and head out to find out what this carnival thing is all about.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb