An island in the sun


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Ilha Grande
April 26th 2010
Published: April 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ilha Grande



On the move, we left Rio for island life! We took a bus to Angra dos Reis and from here we took a boat to the beautiful island of Ilha Grande. We had pre booked Pousada da Cachoeira (I later found out that Cachoeira means waterfall.) It was a beautiful Pousada set in the jungle by a small waterfall with hammocks and cats to keep us entertained. This is paradise!

We did a few treks while on the island. We did a trek near Abraao (the town we stayed in). This trek had so many sights along its path: beaches, old prison ruins, aqueduct, a natural pool and waterfalls. We also did a long trek across the island to a beach called Dois Rios that took 5 hours in total (there and back). It was tough work, but worth it when we got to the stunning beach on the other side of the island. There were the remains of an old prison there, with a small museum too. During the treks we saw all kinds of wildlife but the highlights were monkeys and a snake! When I first saw the snake, I thought it was a bamboo shoot until I saw him whip into the undergrowth beside the dirt track. The two of us screamed like a couple of girls and ran to the other side of the road.

After several days of trekking, we decided to splash out on a boat trip. We stopped at several places along the island and went snorkelling, jumping and diving off the boat. It was so much fun and we saw so many unusual fish. The most unusual being a butterfly type fish that seemed to move along the sea bed. We also encountered fish that kept taking nips out of us, so quickly swam away from them before a feeding frenzy ensued!

At night, we chilled out in the hostel / pousada and drank beers while relaxing in the hammocks. We had meals in some restaurants there too. One restaurant served fish on a clay tray that was still cooking the fish, veg and potatoes as it was served to us, absolutely delicious!!

The only reason we left this fantastic place was because we ran out of money! There were no ATMs on the island and we didn’t have enough cash to pay for any more time there. So, after four days of paradise, we reluctantly checked out.

Onwards to Paraty and Trinidade.

Advertisement



26th April 2010

?????
Didnt realise Seinfeld had such a sleazy little pair of knockers on him! Enjoy!

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb