More Beautiful Brazil Beach Action


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Ilha Grande
April 28th 2007
Published: April 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ilha GrandeIlha GrandeIlha Grande

The tranquil surroundings of Ilha Grande
We had a fantastic time in Rio, but after spending the good part of a week lying on the beach each day, we decided to head North to Salvador to check out some rainforests and old towns. We made it to the bus station with the full intention of heading North. 15 minutes later, we were heading South... to MORE beaches!

Paraty and Ilha Grande. 2 popular beach locations, each with something different to offer. It worked out a lot cheaper, less travel, and we could spend more time seeing the sights then sitting on a bus. And we got to relax on more beaches.

First stop, Paraty. With 55 islands and 300 beaches in the Paraty area, we were not sure where to start. We decided on a boat cruise. For just $20 reais, we spent the entire day out on the sea. We visited 3 islands. On the first island, the sand was so soft, it was as if it had never been walked on. We snorkled with schools of colourful fish, starfish, and turtles at the 2nd island. The last island, we ate fresh fish at a lone restaurant, oceans away from any one else.
ParatyParatyParaty

Lia at one with nature.


The town is very safe, unlike Rio or Sao Paulo, so we were able to stroll around, day or night. The old town was very much like Colonia Del Sacramento, with cobblestone streets, and very old buildings. Lia and I also bought some skimpy new brazilian-style bathers which we had fun modeling on the beach. The only complaint, I was bitten by a fish. It was scary at first, because my finger was swollen, numb and painful for a couple of hours. I was fortunate to have such a qualified nurse by my side if anything had gone wrong.

After a couple of days in Paraty, we jumped on a boat to head to Ilha Grande, a massive island 150km off the coast of Rio. We stayed at the best hostel we've seen so far, and made a few new friends that we shared a few too many caipirinhas with one night which ended in a few aching heads the next day. We had been very well behaved before then.

We went on another boat cruise in Ilha Grande for more snorkling at the Blue Lagoon. Then the last day, we walked 2 and a half hours
ParatyParatyParaty

It was all fun in the sun.
to Lopez Mendes, easily the most beautiful beach we´ve seen so far. Unfortunately, we were so amazed by this beach, we left before taking any good photos.

We spent 5 days on the island, and we didn´t really do a whole lot so it's just photo's of more and more beach, but we had a great time. We spent one more night in Paraty before making our way to Sao Paulo for a flight to Peru. We only spent 3 hours in Sao Paulo, far too long, before going to the airport. For some reason, our seats were cancelled on our flight. We were put on the waiting list, and they eventually found us some seats, but we only had 20 minutes before the flight was scheduled to leave. We were practically chasing the plane down the runway, and made it with only seconds to spare.

We both made it to Lima safely. Lia is struggling with a bit of a stomach bug at the moment, and can´t venture too far from the hostel. We both hope she recovers before our 3 week Gecko's adventure tour, starting Sunday. Internet access may be limited during this time, but we
Ilha GrandeIlha GrandeIlha Grande

The view from the Lopez Mendes trail, with the mainland in the background.
promise to send you some amazing photos of the many attractions of Peru.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

ParatyParaty
Paraty

Lia on our boat cruise, with Paraty in the background.
ParatyParaty
Paraty

We managed to pick the smallest boat in Paraty.
ParatyParaty
Paraty

The next bond chick!
ParatyParaty
Paraty

Oh Yeah!
ParatyParaty
Paraty

The next bond?
ParatyParaty
Paraty

Maybe not.


1st May 2007

you're killing me here!!! all those beaches - my dreams but your reality!!! i think you're doing a fantastic job of having the trip of a lifetime!

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb