In the¨Sticks¨


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Búzios
April 19th 2009
Published: April 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Travel blog part 2 - we have entered ¨the sticks¨.

Internet speed around here is about 2 bytes per minute and if this post isn´t published before Sunday then you know my temper will have got the better of me and the computer will have been launched out of the window. My mood has not been helped by the fact I was informed this morning that we set off at 11 am tomorrow for a 6 hour bus jouney - Everton kick off at midday local time so I will be dependent on text messages from the usual suspects once again....

Anyway, rant over, and we are now having the time of our lives. Rio was class but we probably spent too much time in the city and our trips up the coast have been first class. Buzious was gorgeous, although our hostel left a little to be desired for. It basically had not been inhabited for approximately 100 years. We literally had to wipe the cobwebs away as we inspected the gaf. I turned the fan on which spat out loads of shit including a dead spider and crusty centipede plus a million other organisms - bug central!! Nevertheless, our host, Frank (or at least that´s what we called him) was really lovely. He dropped us off to a beautiful beach in his battered white van with a smashed window. Randomly he carried a wooden cross with him and we did worry that we may end up in his basement doing a ¨Josef Fritzl¨ for the next 7 months... Anyway, we ate fresh prawns on the beach washed down with a beer - sweet!

The locals were so friendly and we ended up getting battered with a Brazilian couple. Our drunkeness made for a better sleep in the bug infested ´hostel´.

We then headed to Saquerema, a sleepy little town which is renouned for its surf. We had a very fun surf lesson with Patrick, our surf instructor. I was utterly useless but Neil, surpringly, managed to stand up. Our experiences since have involved being pulverised by the ridiculous waves. Neil dived into a wave which pretty much resembled diving into a brick wall, I thought he´d broken his neck. (It was like 12 rounds with Mike Tyson rolled into 5 seconds, or perhaps a first date with Nightshade from Gladiators - Neil) Thereafter, for some unknown reason, I proceeded to throw myself at another roaring wave and actually thought I´d broken myself in half, took a minute to get my breath after that one. Needless to say, lesson learnt - respect the elements!

We have now met up with our Gap tour, there are 4 peeps in the group, ourselves and Mick from Dublin who is very sound and chilled out. We´ve also got a girl, Linda, from London. She´s as mad as a hatter and very funny. She reminds Neil and I of the blond one out of the Vicar of Dibley. Our guide, Esteben, is also awesome. We went to Illa Grande, a little island south west of Rio, it´s like a paradise, particularly the beach, Lopes Mendes, my fav day so far. The whole island had a power cut and pissed it with rain. So we all got stocias on caipirnhas and ran home barefoot in the rain - great craic!

We´re currently in paratay, a little colonial town established in the 1600s. V quaint. Today we went bike riding to a beautiful waterfall. The scenery was immense and the waterfall, delightful. However, we are heading to Iguassa Falls tomoz which looks amazing - helicopter trips on the agenda... Unfortunately its a 6 hour bus journey as mentioned above, followed by a 14 hour overnight bus journey. Could get very emotional
if the blues don´t win, or the ipod runs out of batteries...

PS photos to follow when the internet speed picks up a tad xx

Keep the faith

In Moyes we trust

NSNO

COYB



Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



20th April 2009

Great Footballing Weekend!
What a great weekend for football crozza! Sunderland win, Newcastle lose, and you knock those arrogant big heads out the cup fantastic! Sounds like your having great fun over there too, I'm not bothered, we had temperatures of 11C in Sunderland over the weekend, you should see me tan!!
20th April 2009

Great Footballing Weekend!
What a great weekend for football crozza! Sunderland win, Newcastle lose, and you knock those arrogant big heads out the cup fantastic! Sounds like your having great fun over there too, I'm not bothered, we had temperatures of 11C in Sunderland over the weekend, you should see me tan!!
28th April 2009

unlucky neil....
sorry but unfortunately the mighty manchester city whipped you on saturday....probably best that you are away and so you didn't have to see it. What are you doing re the FA cup final.....I am presuming you will be somewhere that shows it, absolutely awesome seeing your guys knock the scum out on penalties...classic! Lee-Anne have sent you an email on facebook xxx

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb