Porto Alegre - Brazil


Advertisement
South America » Brazil » Rio Grande do Sul » Porto Alegre
January 15th 2015
Published: January 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Well, it is pretty hard to get this blog updated all the time when travelling to all these wonderful places. And Carla is keeping me busy as hell with her planed approach to sightseeing. It looks like I need a holiday from the backpacking soon. And Porto Alegre was not different with the added bonus that Carla was born and has lived in POA for a long time, so she knew the place pretty well and I w... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




2nd February 2015

Football.
There's an interesting fact about the rivalry between Gremio and Internacional. Gremio was founded by European inmigrants and was the first team of the city (the southern part of Brazil has the biggest white population in all South America, even more than Argentina or Uruguay, according to what the statistics say). The thing is that when the people who were not descendants of Europeans wanted to join Gremio, they were rejected because they were...let's say...brown or black skinned, so they began with their own football club, Internacional. Of course, nowadays, there are whites who are fans of Internacional and viceversa, and you can see that a lot, but there's still a rivalry based on race, that can be noticed in chants or posters. Ah, football. Cheers mate.
5th February 2015

Brazil
How wonderful that your guide ran you ragged! Sounds like you've seen every nook and cranny. Perfect. Thank you for the stories and a bit of history. It sounds like a charming city and it is on our list. Safe travels.
5th February 2015

My guide
Oh es my guide is exploring every corner of the city with me. It's more like a marathon than a backpacking holiday. But all is good. It is a great town to visit and you should try to get here.......
5th February 2015
Gaucho Folk Dance at the CTG -  Porto Alegre

Resting
You'll need a week off from your backpacking to rest.
5th February 2015
Gaucho Folk Dance at the CTG -  Porto Alegre

Rest
Well I am in Brasilia right now and had two weeks of rest. It was nice to not move from hostel to hostel for a while and have a bed that is very comfy. In 3 days the backpacking starts again. Buenos Aires, here I come........

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0813s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb