The wonder that is Iguazu Falls


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Paraná
August 31st 2018
Published: September 3rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Paraty to Iguazu to Bonita

3 days covered in this blog but let me get rid of days 1 & 3 quickly -
Day 1. A bus and plane and bus from Paraty to Foz do Iguazu
Day 3. A 14 hour bus journey from Iguazu to Bonito (750kms) so a lot of reading, some planning & trying to learn Spanish with the Babbel language app



Day 2 - Iguazu Falls
What a fantastic day!

An early start to get over the Argentinian border before the crowds, to fully experience the Argentinian side at their loudest and most powerful close up.

A 15 minute slow train ride took us through sub tropical rainforest to a metal walkway, then a half a mile walk to the biggest waterfall called ‘Devils Throat’. At 80 metres high the fall was spectacular, we were so close that you could feel and hear the power of the water.

Even the walkway across to the falls was terrific as each time we walked from one land mass to another we were able to take in the vistas of the river and lake, together with the occasional spotting of toucans, plush-created jays, ear pygmied tyrants (green) and according to our guide the evil ‘coatis’.

And the sun was shining ☀️- but not for long ?.

After taking in the sights and sounds we then went on a boat from downriver which took us to the bottom of the falls close to the main one. We managed to get some fantastic images from below & then got absolutely drenched under the falls - a tad cold but great fun (I think!)

Once back in land and dry(ish) we then headed back to Brazil, where a few of the group went over the falls in a helicopter before we were taken back to the falls but on the Brazilian side. And sun came out again - perfect timing.

From this side you could see so much more of the network of falls that made up Iguazu. Apparently over 250 individual falls more than anywhere else in the world (check).

From here we could also see the Argentinian flag ?? flying on the other side and each time we walked along the pathway and turned a corner another more beautiful vista opened up before us.

A fantastic day and I recommend anyone that goes to the falls to follow the order above - the flow works.

Weather wise it was a mix - sunshine, clouds, torrential rain and sunshine again but the views are stunning in any weather so no one cared.

A long day but the best so far and will be hard to top.

A few images of the falls are in the blog but it’s so hard to capture the power and majesty of it all.

Bonito next

Note: the border between Brazil and Argentina goes through the river Iguazu below the Iguazu Falls.





Sent from my iPhone


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



11th September 2018
view from the boat

Following your progress
Itinerary and world atlas constantly out in spare room so I can follow your adventures

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0203s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb