The Pantanal


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Pantanal
November 29th 2005
Published: December 3rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Day 16,17 & 18



We left Bonito and headed for the wilderness - The Pantanal. It's basically a massive swampland the size of France in the middle of South America. We arrived after a very bumpy ride - 4 hours of dirt track, only to be attacked by a swarm of mosquitos. We're pleased to say things got better as on our way to our room we saw monkeys and an aligator. We dumped our stuff and went piranah fishing (didn't catch anything unfortunately) but some of our gang were more fortunate and fed their catches to the hungry aligators sitting a couple of metres away!!

An early breakfast then we headed for a ranch. On the way we saw a giant anteater which was the size of a two seater sofa! We then went for a walk through the swamps and bush and saw lots of birds and some cute baby quatis and their mother who watched us like a hawk and made some funny sound that was supposed to scare us off! The guide also showed us flowers used for warpaint (he told us after we had rubbed the blue dye all over us) and several medicinal
Too close for comfortToo close for comfortToo close for comfort

Our boat crashed two feet away from this little fella.
plants. After another siesta in the hammocks (we're getting used to these), we went horse riding through the swamp. On the way home we saw some real life cowboys hearding hundreds of cattle, which was pretty cool. It was good fun.

The next morning we were on the river at 7.30 ready for some canooing in some pretty precarious canoes! We saw lots of aligators and trees whilst trying desperately not to capsize!! In the afternoon we went on a boat ride up the river and were really lucky! We saw millions of aligators once again (we don´t even bat an eyelid at them anymore they're so common!!) and lots of birds but the best thing for Carly was the capiburras we saw. She loves them!!! We stopped off at the Red River (which didn´t look red until you got in it). In the evening we had a 'party'for a couple of the guys who were leaving the group. We were left with lots of souvenires from the Pantanal in the form of itchy scratchy bites but hopefully not maleria!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Stop..........Stop..........
Stop..........

HAMMOCK time!!
CapiburraCapiburra
Capiburra

How cute!! If you want to see more Carly took about 500 photos of them and won't get rid of ANY of them!!!
The Red RiverThe Red River
The Red River

Swimming with anacondas, piranahs and aligators...
The GangThe Gang
The Gang

Ciao Ciao Adrian!!!


4th December 2005

Awesome
Guys, You seem to be enjoying yourselves as much as we are. Tasted alligator in New Orleans - wasn't too impressed either.
6th December 2005

Baldy
Nice one! Looks awesome. Did you wrestle any anacondas? Pretty wussy if you didn't. Whats the baldy bloke in the GANG photo doing?!!!!!! Or is that the carving of a Capiburra you bought?
7th December 2005

You look so chilled out in those hammocks - am SOOOOOOO jealous, looks awesome. Rat, I think we should start a Capiburra Appreciation Society - they're great! Lots of love to you and LPBB.
18th December 2005

Farewell
Good to see my departure was noted! Looks like i should have stayed cos it all sounds wicked, no fun being back at work.

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb