It's a new house.....


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Minas Gerais » Belo Horizonte
June 17th 2006
Published: July 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Rua Xingu (our street)Rua Xingu (our street)Rua Xingu (our street)

Aptly the name of our street (Xingu) is also the name of a local beer.
Six weeks of living in a hotel room and we were very ready to move into our house. Luckily there was the short change of scenery in Argentina when the Belo Horizonte hotel room was replaced by one in Buenos Aires, so I wasn’t quite climbing the walls when it was time to move out.

We were taken to look at a few places before we chose the house that we are now living in. We saw a mix of houses and apartments, they were all fully furnished, but none were places we were keen to live in (generally they were places people were about to move from and they had been their homes for the last gazillion years and when it said fully furnished it meant they were leaving EVERYTHING behind).
As a result we chose an unfurnished house, literally unfurnished, to the extent you provide your own stove. The situation here is also similar to Australia where the majority of rentals are unfurnished and you can get a lot more for your money if this is what you select, so that was why we chose the house we did.

Our place is larger than we were originally
Living Room & Dance FloorLiving Room & Dance FloorLiving Room & Dance Floor

Clearly a current lack of furniture, but the space for the dining table has proven to be an excellent dance floor.
anticipating. It is 2 storey, upstairs there are five bedrooms (each with an ensuite) and a tv area, downstairs a study, kitchen, laundry and large combined living/dining room. There is also a large outdoor entertaining area, complete with built in kitchen (now just need to get a stove and fridge for out there), traditional Brasilian churrasca barbeque and a swimming pool. It will at least be the perfect size for a couple of weeks at Christmas time when our families are going to be joining us.

We have started the furniture purchasing expeditions, we bought the basics to allow us to comfortably move in and the nicer items (which also have 1-2 month lead times) are to follow. There is some really nice furniture here, so some purchases will definitely be returning to Australia with us at some point.

Unfortunately although we do have a stove it has yet to be connected to the gas, so I am still really hanging out to cook! At least we have a fridge and pantry full of food (and beer) ready in anticipation!

Pics to be added in the next couple of days.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Casa de Verde (our house)Casa de Verde (our house)
Casa de Verde (our house)

Brett has creatively named our house "Green House". Interestingly Casa do Rio Verde is the name of a local bottleshop, I'm detecting a theme here.
Let's Get  CookingLet's Get  Cooking
Let's Get Cooking

The kitchen....
Outdoor LivingOutdoor Living
Outdoor Living

Around to the left is a large undercover area, just begging for a party!
Our ChurrascaOur Churrasca
Our Churrasca

Not quite your standard Aussie Barbeque, when used professionally the food tastes great so we'll just have to wait and see how professional we are!


Tot: 0.352s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.2893s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb