"r" is the hardest letter


Advertisement
Published: May 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

In the past weeks I´ve had the opportunity to work at two different project sites in the periphery of BH - teaching English (and a couple art classes) in 45 minute segments to various groups of children, ranging from 6 to 14 (and one group of adults). The difficulty in teaching is a multifaceted affair considering a.) I have no teaching experience, b.) I speak only rudimentary Portuguese, and c.) the children realize this. Most of the groups have been perfect, the greatest difficulty being their names (the creative tendency in choosing names has resulted in a rash of unheard of concotions, particulary those involving the letter "W": Wemerson, Welder, Wemeth, Weldon). When there are problems with attentiveness, it is most likely due to ineptitude and overzealousness of their teacher (who in trying to teach 6 year olds 50 different phrases in 45 minutes may as well be reading them James Joyce). However, the notorius "Grupo Terçeiro" of 10 and 11 year olds might prove impossible.

On the first Monday, the group filed into the classroom, the majority of the students taking seats in the front, almost uncomfortably close to the whiteboard. I mistook the the radiant glow of their eyes as an eagerness to learn, when I was actually being sized up for the kill. The ensuing class was short, as I think we were able to get only to the J before the class disrupted into chaos. At some point in the preceding brouhaha, the other teacher dashed for the door - and with her left whatever remaining authority, as almost all the students followed close behind. The room was empty, save one inconspicous small child, one of the only who had sat attentively throughout the entire proceedings. She stood up, smiling, shook my hand and skipped out the open door.

...

As I've mentioned before, one of the most glaring differences here is the lack of social services. All the children that come to the project are from "poor" families. The minimum salary in Brazil is R$300/month, which is the same cost as a pair of tennis shoes. More succintly put, after deducting food, shelter, clothing, medicine, and transportation (buses are privatized and are actually more expensive then in the states) there is little or nothing left. Brazil has programs designed to address problems facing those in poverty, but the programs are weak and inefficient (Ex. A child has come to the project with marks from an abusing boyfriend of her mother - a government agency exists to address this need, but it's underfunded and overwhelmed and does nothing.)

The difference is shocking to a foreigner - the small luxuries that were treated as inalienable rights, or simply never questioned - and lend a humanity to inequality. And while this compels one from "outside" to help, I have doubts to it's effectiveness locally, as one can slowly adapt to the normality of inequality (as everyone here can live alongside it).

Some of the more radical/progressive (circle one) groups here in Brazil are forcing equality - in the form of workers strikes and (most visibly) land seizures. The overall opinion here seems to be negative in regards to these groups, as many feel there are those abusing this system (revealing something of the media differences: most english speaking sources give a positive spin).

Which article requires more faith? The belief that people, rich or poor, will sacrifice what they have for the benefits of others, reserving judgement with that charity - or the belief that the poor will take, at the very minimum, what they need, and they have a right to this equality?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb