Beaches, Bahia and the Brazil Coast


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia
March 31st 2010
Published: April 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Having left behind rainy Foz do Iguazu we were desperate for some sunshine and more importantly a beach. Off we headed to the coast and Trinidade, 14km south of Paraty, south of Rio. Beautiful beaches, a natural swimming pool enclosed by rocks in the shallows, and some live reggae music. Our first beach of the big trip and we were on a roll, next stop was Rio de Janeiro to meet up with our friend Chris who had flown in to escape the English weather and to soak up some Brazilian rays. There was no stopping us, loads of beaches awaited.

The 3 of us discovered Arraial d' Ajuda, next to Porto Seguro. Arraial was a busy stylish resort visited by Argentinians and anyone wanting all their home comforts by the beach. However, moving up the coast we preferred the cool laid back resort of Itacare. Full of surfers and even more reggae music! Jonty hired a surfboard and began to learn to surf. Chris got stuck into the local beer and I read books by the waves, bliss!

Next stop was Salvador, we managed to get accommodation right in the centre of the Pelourinho where live music entertained us from our bedroom's balcony. We even saw the Buena Vista Social Club live on Salvador's Barra beach one night. Brilliant city! Chris decided to move further north to check out more beaches whilst Jonty and I opted for the more calm and tranquil resort of Imbassai, 65km north of Salvador.

Miles and miles of white sand, turtles swimming free in the sea, monkeys and possums in the trees and giant toads on the sandy roads. We stayed in Imbassai for 2 weeks and Jonty continued to surf and to improve. I read even more books. We drank too many passion fruit caipirinhas. On one day we walked the 14kms all the way along the beach to Praia do Forte, barefoot all the way.

We met a lovely couple Anne and Jan from Berlin, also surfing and exploring the Brazilian coast. Imbassai was the perfect place to relax although we recommend visiting now rather than later, we're pretty sure it's going to be developed into a livelier resort with more bars and restaurants very soon. But we liked it just the way it was, quiet, beautiful, and almost all to ourselves.


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb