Here In Ubiataba


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia
November 21st 2009
Published: November 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Brazilian FamilyThe Brazilian FamilyThe Brazilian Family

From Left: Uenio, Leda(with twins) Junior, Dona, Zenaide, Seu Carlos, Me and Raf

Well I think I last let you know that i arrived in rafael's home town. his Family is still wonderful!! we have spent almost two weeks at the beach house. Its truly amazing there!! at the back of our house (where our bedroom is) we can see the ocean. We wake up to the sound of birds, and the waves crashing on the shore. we have our breakfast spread, then head to the hammock, to listen to the ocean and digest... wait .... our life gets harder..... so see... we have taken up fishing... the village meets on the beach. the canoe takes the nets out and we pull them in. I have to say, its a really cool life they live. but not always an easy one. they live off this. if the fish don't come they don't make their living. any way... I have got good at getting the fish from the net, and Can you believe this.... I have learned and got quite good at cleaning fish... gutting them and chopping their heads off.. oh my... never ever thought I would say that!! I'm goin native. lol. so we have a freezer full of fish. Hmmm... We have gone for walks on the beach and seen a turtle, sand dollars litter the sand. the water is so so warm. we spend some of our afternoons playing in the waves. The sun is hot, its just all around HOT. I wear 60 sunblock, and have a wicked tan. and have been burnt a few times. see pic. the drive to the beach house is amazing. they say its like driving through the Amazon. its really amazing. every thing you need to live, survive and thrive is on the side of the main road. coconut trees to eat from and get fresh water. every kind of fruit you could want. including Acai. and the occasional chicken. like you could live very well off a 15' by 15'' piece of land. lol. the locals are super nice. the food is amazing... very very different from anything I have tried! the fruit is cool... we have acai most days, raf makes a Cashew salad... and no its not with the nut.. cashew is a fruit. the nut grows on the end. its different to eat, the fruit sucks all the water from your mouth. and the juices.. Umbu.. amazing, Acerola.. it is said to have more then nutrients then 20 orangres. and its a bit smaller then a cherry. I have had a nasty cough here. and raf has made me this tea from a tree called Pitanga. the berry is pretty good... but the tea is made from the leave.. which taste.. well not so nice. its kinda like biting into the skin of an orange. yum yum yum. but the coughs is going quickly. oh gosh... i know im every where with this email.. there is just so much to tell and i dont know where to start. we have a pet lizard. he lives in our BBQ. see pics. lol we named him ''churrasc'' which is short for churrascaria - the brazilian name for their BBQs. we have a rental agreement with him that ends on christmas when he will be smoked out. we also have a few geckos and a tree frog. I have to say, that I am growing to love the wild here. we are in the middle of it. its weird and wonderful. Lots to learn and love. Tomorrow We are going to the farmers market. it starts a 5am.. crazy brazilians... i'll get there sometime around 7am. wow well when I think of more wonderful things to tell, I will find my self back on here. oh p.s. did you know that acai is in the coconut family. its a kind of small purple coconut. the wonders the wonders. cloves come from a HUGE tree and paprika is from a flowering tree. will send pics. the tree with the red flowers is paprika the tall tall normalish looking tree is clove, and the single palm that stands close in the pic is the acai. its wild and bizarre and I love it here!! hope you can make it here soon. its pretty spectacular!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

our pet lizard Chuascaour pet lizard Chuasca
our pet lizard Chuasca

He lives in our BBQ
Clove treeClove tree
Clove tree

Yes Clove that little hard brown peg like spice. this tree is about 50-70 feet tall. Now you know!!
AcaiAcai
Acai

Acai Is actually a little purple Coconut!! Now you know!!


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb