Salvador Brazil


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Salvador
April 24th 2015
Published: May 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 3 of the cruise landed us in Salvador. Of the 2 cities we had visited (Sao Paulo & Rio), Salvador was much smaller and less commercialized. It truly gave us the feeling of other cities we have visited in Europe and Central America. We did see some evidence of modern day infrastructure in the large football (soccer) stadium we passed on our way to the "old part" of the city. Most streets were cobblestone and the architecture very historic. The church we toured was without a doubt featured one of the most ornate interiors we have seen. Outside the church you can purchase "wish ribbons" to tie onto the gates, fences and other areas around the church. Inside in a small area you can also hang wax "body parts" that represent ailments of yours or others that need healed. Catholicism and the true belief in miracles is alive and well in Latin America.

In all the years we've traveled abroad we had almost achieved bragging rites about how we had never been the victim of theft, but Salvador ended that run. In the central square while we were standing in our tour group listening to the narrative of our tour guide, 2 young boys (early teens) quickly snatched Barb's necklace and ran off in a flash. Sadly for them it was a $3 Walmart special, but brought us back to reality NOT to wear any type of jewelry when out and about.

We boarded the ship preparing for our 6 relaxing sea days as we cross the Atlantic and head for Tenerife, Canary Islands. In a few days we'll officially cross the Equator and participate in the Neptune ceremony!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb