Salvador


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Salvador
July 14th 2006
Published: July 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After what was a mad week in Rio, Me, Gareth and 4 other guys we met in Rio flew to Salvador for 4 nights to taste the carnival atmosphere. The taxi drive from the airport was mental and I honestly feel safer in a car when my little sister Laura is driving. (Anyone unlucky enough to have experienced that before will know what i'm on about) The driver couldn't drop us off outside our hostel because the streets were closed due to a street party so god knows where we got out but it was like a scene from Black Hawk Down, it felt like we were sitting ducks ready to be mugged.

The next few nights weren't exactly the most cultural in Salvador and involved a number of drinking games in the hostel before hitting the streets to party with the locals. We had some quality nights out with the boys we met and spent the days sprawled on the beach getting the last few hours of sun before it went down. One night we queued to get into a club we ended up in the night before but the bouncers weren't letting us in for some unknown reason. One of the boys played the 'but we're with Harry Kewell' card but the bouncers just looked even more confused. However it did get the attention of an english girl and her Brazilian mates who invited us back to their apartment the next day to use their pool.

We couldn't believe our luck when we strolled into this lush apartment block the following day which over looked the sea. We spent the day sitting around a pool like the one from the opening credits of the OC, using the sauna and steam room and getting a private cable car down to a pier to swim in the sea. Unbelievable. We were soon back to reality when we left for a McDonalds and a taxi back to our smelly hostel. Oh well.

Did get some good pictures of Salvador just to prove that I did actually see it it in the day. It is a very lively and colourful place and you'll always see locals singing and dancing in the streets no matter what time of day it is.

I'll upload the pics soon.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0909s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb