salvador!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Salvador
February 13th 2005
Published: February 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

rasta hairrasta hairrasta hair

this is the local bahian hair style modelled by manjit... different, eh?!
Hello, this Jaya writing her first blog entry for Salvador and Brasillia. Salvador is one of the most beautiful cities I have been to, it was the first capital of Brasil and it has a huge African influence which you don't get in the rest of Brasils cities that gives it its rhythm. Its kinda like how you imagine Brasil to be, with beautiful old colonial buildings some restored beautifully others crumbling and dilapidated both existing side by side a good example of Brazilian society in general.

We arrived in Salvador just one day after the carnival and the decorations were still up (if you are particularly afraid of Stephen Kings “IT” the movie with the evil clown, Salvadors decoration of huge clowns will be one big nightmare) and there was a general party atmosphere in the city. In these random squares there were bloco bands drumming away, we just followed the thudding everytime we wanted to see a band and you could also watch capoeira (it’s a sort of brazilian martial art/dance) where people have a fight that doesn't involve any physical contact in the squares.

We stayed in the historic centre (which is beautiful) in a hostel
inside one of the many churchesinside one of the many churchesinside one of the many churches

was absolutely beautiful.. very detailed, intricate and golden!
painted in lime green (Brazilians love their colour). We saw so many churches, each one incredibly ornate and beautiful, the one that stands out the most was Sao Sebastian its entire ceiling was covered in Gold Leaf. We also had our first taste of Brazilian cooking in a restaurant owned by a lady (guess from where) London!! It really is a small world as she was actually born in Forest gate and lived on Boleyn Road!!! People from forest gate get everywhere.

If you hate hills and climbing, then even the beauty of colonial Salvador won't be enough, as it’s a city divided between hills. We had to walk up and down everywhere we went, some of the hills were really steep and we would take five minute breaks everytime we reached the top of the hill. But it was worth it.

Manjit also got in touch with her inner hippie and had her hair braided. It took two ladies 1 half hours to do it, I don't think they had seen hair that long but it looks really cool. She is a proper gringo traveller now.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb