O Pelourinho, Salvador da Bahia


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Salvador
October 19th 2022
Published: December 2nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

Salvador's PelourinhoSalvador's PelourinhoSalvador's Pelourinho

This is the cultural and historic heart of Salvador da Bahia.
This blog and more photos are available on my website https://heatherjasper.com/brazil/salvador-pelourinho

Pelourinho means “whipping post” in remembrance of the cruelty of slavery, which built the city. It has been a rich city for hundreds of years precisely because of the slaves used to work the sugar cane fields and build the city. It’s a violent and tragic history, but one that city residents don’t want forgotten.

Despite the heavy history, the neighborhood today is full of joyful music, fabulous restaurants, and engaging museums. It also boasts the best spots to watch the sunset in Salvador. For cultural events, don’t miss the Balé Folclorico da Bahia. There are regular performances three evenings a week and a few times a year are larger performances. Check their website for scheduled performances.

Salvador is full of churches and Pelourinho has half a dozen in just a few blocks. One of the most famous is the Church of Saint Peter of the Clergymen. It was built by the Brotherhood of Saint Peter in 1709 and was renovated in the 18th and 19th centuries.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Igreja e Convento de São FranciscoIgreja e Convento de São Francisco
Igreja e Convento de São Francisco

Salvador is full of churches and Pelourinho has half a dozen in just a few blocks. The Church and Convent of Saint Francis is famous for being one of the most lavishly decorated churches.
Lacerda ElevatorLacerda Elevator
Lacerda Elevator

The Lacerda Elevator connects Pelourinho in the upper city with Comercio in the lower city. It costs 15 Brazilian cents, which is less than 3 cents USD.
Baiana do acarajéBaiana do acarajé
Baiana do acarajé

For local culture, you can’t get any more Salvador than acarajé, which is a traditional street food sold at stands all over the touristy parts of town.


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb