Trekking in Lencois


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Lençóis
March 1st 2007
Published: March 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

(by Nicole) When Lencois was pulled out of the hat, we had little idea what was in store for us; a Brazilian National Park and some hard core trekking that will hopefully make the Inca trail a doddle. We arrived at night and quickly sorted a room from a local tout. Generally dinner is buffet where you pay by the weight of your plate. Our host for the night put us in touch with a local English speaking guide - Mil, who would soon become our only hope for getting to the end of the three day trek covering 36km. This could not be attempted alone and is up there with the hardest things we have ever done physically. Frankly it put our earlier efforts of the Able Tasman to shame. We are talking 6-9 hours walking per day with heavy packs, on paths that did not exist, with the equator sun pelting down. It kind of resembled cannoning as we were scaled rock surfaces, waded through rivers, lots up steep uphill, however we swum everyday in fresh water pools and saw some of the most beautiful waterfalls and landscapes in Brazil. We slept on very hard rocks inside caves, and there was an official ‘poo knife’, which was a machete used to dig yourself a hole for the toilet (if you were that lucky). We drunk from the rivers and Mil cooked us three feasts each day, and catered amazingly for the gluten free - delicious. We came out of the experience exhausted and exhilarated, and collapsed into a night bus, which landed us here Prayer Do Forte this morning.

This is a turtle sanctuary, and so hopefully we will get in some good snorkeling. Times out well being my birthday tomorrow, so Cal did not take much convincing that a spash out in a nice hotel was in order. Mañana will bring pedicures and manicures and cocktails by the pool, so looking forward to that.

Thanks for all you little notes on the blog, it is great reading them and hearing from you.

Chow for now!!

Nic and Cal
x


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0783s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb