Buenos Aires - Sao Paolo - Manaus


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Amazonas » Manaus
March 12th 2009
Published: March 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

BA 747-400BA 747-400BA 747-400

On the way to Sao Paolo
March 12, Thursday, 2009 Buenos Aires - Sao Paolo - Manaus

Time to leave Argentina. We checked out a 11am and took a taxi to the Airport. We were flying British Airways, and had used the online check-in yesterday, so all we needed to do was drop our bags at the Club World desks. Our seats were 64AB on the Upper desk of this 747-400. Clearing security was like the old days, very easy and simple. How we all miss that.

We went to the American Airlines Admirals Club lounge before our flight, an older style lounge but quite comfortable with a relaxing atmosphere. In the lounge was a very loud Brit talking on his mobile, and everyone could hear his conversation. Paul went to the restroom and there he was putting on a T Shirt, which was new. He was walking out and it still had a large price tag on, unfortunately he just did not have enough time to tell him about the tag. He walked around the lounge with the tag on, very funny.

After some Gin and tonics it was time for boarding. We enjoyed some Champagne before take off and relaxed in the seats. BA Club World seats face each other in a backward forward configuration, which is great if you’re travelling with someone, but not if you are alone, however there is a privacy screen which you can put between you.

The flight would be 2hours 45 minutes, and surprisingly on such a short leg we were offered amenity kits, as the flight continues on to London. The menu offered Macadamia nuts with our after takeoff drink, then lunch which was a Smoked salmon appetizer with Tarragon potato salad, warm rolls, then a choice of Pork loin or pasta. We both chose the pork loin and it was delicious. For dessert there was a coffee cake and tea to finish.

On arrival in Sao Paolo, we cleared customs and then checked in for our flight to Manaus. We had a 4hour to wait, and spent most of the time just sitting in a coffee shop. Sao Paolo airports design is very early 80’s, with lots of bare concrete. It reminded us of Charles De Gaulle Airport in Paris in some ways. We were just happy to sit and watch the passers by, again it was noticeable how smartly everyone dressed.

At about 7pm we went through security and went to a bar for a beer. Sadly it was a smoking area. It makes the experience les enjoyable when there is cigarette smoke wafting around you, even more when the staff have no idea how to pour a beer. We walked out with beers in our hand and finished them by the boarding gate.

Our flight commenced boarding, and we took a bus to our plane, a TAM A320. It was an all economy class plane, and the seats offered very little legroom. Fortunately we had a spare seat between us, which was very nice. Our in-flight snack arrived in a red cardboard sleeve and our diet coke poured from a 2 litre bottle. After our snack we were able to sleep for most of the 4 hour journey. All the TAM employees wore very smart navy blue and red uniforms, and were well groomed, but the crew on this flight had very little to do after the very basic meal service.

We arrived in Manaus on time, and collected 3 of our bags off the carousel, but we had to wait until almost the last bag arrived to collect the 4th. It’s a terrible feeling when no-one is left at the carousel and you are still waiting for a bag. We took a taxi to the Novotel hotel, and checked in at around midnight. The hotel is quite plain and in the need of a re-fit, but it was adequate, and offered free hi speed internet in the room which in a plus. We were tired after travelling for much of the day, and the beds were very comfortable.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Tam A320Tam A320
Tam A320

Flight to Manaus


Tot: 0.458s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb