WARNING There are no restaurents in Manaus


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Amazonas » Manaus
July 15th 2007
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

 South America » Brazil » Amazonas » Manaus By yeneerf

SORRY ABOUT THE PICS ' I´M WORKING ON GETTING THEM BACK UP.

We arrived to Manaus from Santa Elena, Venuzelua, where we had just done our 6 day hike. Unfortunatly the photos are a very badly scrathed disc so we are working on getting them from a girl we meet on the trip! so coming soon i hope!

Lonely Planet got us to Hotel Ideal where i was sure i heard some country accents. We checked into a triple room and decided our plan of action, food and book our boat to Tabitanga, 6 days up river! Food came to us in the form of skewers from a street vendor, i was not satisfying by the choice but ate all the same. After lunch we stumbled upon the Opera House. The Copa America final was on so we attempted to find a bar but Lonley Planets offering was closed, we found a pizza place that was showing the match. We wern´t too bothered cause the match was shit. On our journey back to Ideal we came across what appeared to be a happening night club. We entered and found it be just that, a happening night club, for 15 year olds. It was good craic, dancing with the local kids downing a few cold ones.

The next day we visited the Opera House which seems rather decadent and swanked for a river town a 1000 km from the atlantic. We also got our boat tickets sorted at a resonable price $80. Unfortunalty it wasn´t leaving until wednesday and our very strict schedule said we should set sail Tuesday. An extra day in Manaus gave us the oputunity to visit the meeting of the waters and an ecoligcal park, neither were particularly impressive although we did watch a team of 15 vultures tear a cats carcas apart while we enjoyed lunch from a safe distance!

All in all Manaus gets a 4 out of 10. The food was shit, the city was smelly. We had to spend an extra day. I think we were bolloxed from Roraima trek as well. So to the boat in the morning, theres 7 irish going to be on it as well who are staying at Ideal. Should be fun, cant wait.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb