And there was dancing in the streets


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia
February 2nd 2011
Published: February 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Bolivia we are here!

So we left Puno on the bus and took the relatively short journey around Lake Titicaca to Copacabana, Bolivia (although to Claire the journey was tourturously long as they locked the bathroom door on the bus and she really needed to pee).
Now, just to clarify, this place in Bolivia is the original ´Copacabana´. The more famous relative in Rio, Brazil is actually named after this place in Bolivia. Apparently some priest built a church in Rio named after this area and then the beach in Brazil took the name because.....well I kinda tuned out to what the guide was saying after that.

Anyway, we are here in Copacabana and we made it in time for the annual Fiesta de la Virgen de Candelaria. It is a pretty amazing fiesta (party) where all the locals dress up in brilliant costumes and dance down the streets to the Cathedral where they salute the unique ´dark´ Virgin Mary statue....then get ridiculously drunk dancing in the street till the wee hours of the morning. And I do mean drunk. There were ´D&M´ (deep and meaningful) chats between the local women, and guys getting dragged off by their wives for being too drunk. All in all a pretty funny and unique experience.

So, this arvo we head to La Paz and hope to do the ´World´s most dangerous road´ and up into the Amazon over the next week.

Take it easy,

Mahara and Claire

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb