Death road and guinea pig - the best of Bolivia!


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia
January 5th 2011
Published: January 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Death roadDeath roadDeath road

The start when we were bright eyed, bushy tailed...and un-injured.
After the bus ride from hell, 8 hours in tiny cramped seats with a drunk guy playing Eminem songs all night, we arrived in La Paz - the highest capital city in the world! On our first day we went for a walk to the witches market and bought up on Llama jumpers, jewellery and presents for our family. We thought about buying a dried llama fetus or some hallucinogenic  cactus, but we refrained as I am sure Australian customs would not be impressed (although Rash assured me that the San Pedro cactus would have been consumed long before our flight home)

The next day, after a massive night out and a lazy morning recovering in bed, we signed up for a one day mountain biking tour of death road...the most dangerous road in the world! We managed to convince Dave and Mandy, an Aussie/English couple we had met a few days earlier to cancel their walking tour of the city and come with us. The road was amazing, sheer drops of 200m and we were all having a blast, until Rashy got a bit over excited and crashed into the side of the mountain (thankgod it was mountain side and not the cliff side) and poor old Dave fearing for Rashy tried to turn around and also took a tumble. Rash ended up with a busted shoulder in a sling and poor Dave had to get 3 stitches in his knee. 

From La Paz we headed to lake Titicaca were we boarded a boat in Copacabana to the isla del sol, island of the sun.  Let me tell you, there was not much sun and not really much to do expect walk around and take pictures of llamas. Originally we had planned to stay on the island for two nights, but after one night we had seen it all and decided to return to Copacabana. We didn't do much in Copacabana except wine and dine at tourist restaurants - our menu included guinea pig, llama steak with spaghetti and some amazing seafood!

We left Copacabana 10kg heavier and caught another long and painful bus to Cuzco in Peru...but I will leave that for another blog!! 


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

The winnersThe winners
The winners

Slow and steady wins the race...apparently
Party timeParty time
Party time

With our new friends Mandy, Drew and Alex
Phaedra dominating at limboPhaedra dominating at limbo
Phaedra dominating at limbo

I came second...beaten by a waif of a kid who looked like a albino Harry Potter
DonkeysDonkeys
Donkeys

Taking pictures of animals was the only thing we could do!
The ruinsThe ruins
The ruins

We couldn´t be bothered to walk all the way down to the ruins...but this gives you the idea!
Cruel stepsCruel steps
Cruel steps

The evil steps we had to walk up to get to our room. Rashy was not impressed.


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb