I, Tourist


Advertisement
South America » Bolivia
November 20th 2005
Published: November 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Arriving in the small village of Copacabana, nestled on the shores of Lake Titicaca, in landlocked and underdeveloped Bolivia, Kim and I both experienced a strong sense of culture shock. Too many tourists. Too many backpackers. Too many travellers, uniformly dressed, sporting local alpaca headgear and huge rucksacks, wandering around looking unsure and lost. Che Guevara, whom quite a few of these ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 91, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Broken Salt crustBroken Salt crust
Broken Salt crust

El Salar de Uyuni
Volcan Olague (5870m)Volcan Olague (5870m)
Volcan Olague (5870m)

Active, and straddling the Chille-Bolivia border.
Desert plantDesert plant
Desert plant

Remind anyone of Tassie's cushion plants?
Desert plantDesert plant
Desert plant

This one has been reading to much John Wyndham.
Sol de la MañanaSol de la Mañana
Sol de la Mañana

A pretty fiery area of powerful geysers and bubbling mud sitting around 4900m elevation.



22nd November 2005

AMAZING
Wow, you describe everything a reader might want to know! Your narrative and pictures are phenomenal. This is easily one of the top 5 blogs I've ever read. It certainly thickens my anticipation as I am going to Bolivia this winter... Being half-Bolivian, but never having been there, it should prove an amazing experience.
22nd November 2005

Fantastic as always!
Forever inspirational pictures. Loving it. Good work guys!
25th November 2005

I have read a great deal of travel blogs and normally enjoy this particular one immensely. However, on this occasion i feel it necessary to point out one particular factual inaccuracy. That's an alpaca and not a llama. I expect better in the future or the house gets it.
25th November 2005

Hairy horses
Dear Mr Al ´Paca´, there are three photos of hairy horses on this page. Two I was assured by local Bolivian´s were Llamas, the last one to be honest I didn´t check. Not wishing to stand in the way of ethnographic progress, please can you enlighten us as to how to tell the difference ?
28th November 2005

scuse me...
...Three? I thought that was a man with a hat on.
1st December 2005

wow
I am inspired by your photography...shots like this confirm my addiction to TravelBlog
11th December 2005

Sorry its taken so long to reply but i've been struggling with ethnographic progress. Alpacas are smaller than Llamas and i think they have narrower faces. In fact niether of us are actually incorrect as Alpaca is a type of Llama. Llama being the genus and Alpaca the species; Llama is also as species under the genus Llama. Please pass this information onto your peruvian freinds so that they don't mis-inform any more bloggers.
15th December 2005

Africa
I am very impressed with your photos. They are stunning. I liked Dove Lake especially. I have a question about Africa if you can find time answering: With 2-3 weeks in Sept and not being to Africa before would you go to Botswana/Namibia or Kenya/Tanzania/Zanzibar? It sounds as if you were disappointed with Botswana. Could that been down to the season? Many thanks in advance.
20th December 2005

To Yorkshire Pud
Your question is difficult to answer without knowing more about your budget/motivations etc. Perhaps send an email via travelblog and I can answer in more detail. Botswana is great, and ranks as the best game viewing in Africa. The Chobe game cruise was one of the highlights of our trip. However game viewing in the Okavanga delta is hideously expensive. Otherwise I would say East Africa is more game and people whereas Southern Africa (where we visited) is more game and landscapes. East Africa is difficult to travel around independently whereas for Namibia and South Africa at least self-drive is an option. If you are new to Africa you might also consider South Africa, which is a more gentle introduction. For me the ideal trip would be Cape Town to Vic Falls via Namibia and Botswana, but then I like deserts!
3rd April 2006

Highest "Navigable" Lake
I think they just want to claim Lake Titicaca as the highest something in the world. I know Lake Tilicho in the Annapurna region of Nepal is higher (between 5,000m and 5,200m depending on the map you look at), so I guess the fact that Lake Titicaca is used and navigated constantly by people as part of their daily lives gives it the title of highest "Navigable" Lake. Who knows though!!!

Tot: 0.324s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 25; qc: 124; dbt: 0.1497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb