Where Llamas are the Kings of Rock & Roll


Advertisement
Published: May 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Where Llamas are the Kings of Rock & Roll. It is dusk when we arrive. Takya Hotel de Piedra aka The Hotel of Rock. Mountain peak overlooking us...village next to the Salar below. Sometimes ya gotta play the right music...before you get your socks off. A teenage girl lets us in...massive bedroom...the silence of corridors in the middle of nowhere. No other tourists. We are yet again the on... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 21


Advertisement





Let the Good Times RollLet the Good Times Roll
Let the Good Times Roll

High altitude Heaven here we come!



26th May 2016

A masterpeice writing!
When a piece of writing makes you go there, makes you feel a part of it, and drives you nuts with a chestful of emotion, I then know that it has reached that elite level. Bravo Dave, another wonderful piece of writing on your part. Needless to say my level of ecstasy. The description is so vivid that I could really touch it and feel it. The video clip is excellent. I will listen to that again tomorrow. Didn't I comment earlier that Lamas are cute and my favourite. Perhaps, you heard my inner mind. Thank you for the blog. Regarding your comment on the burnt village, the Chile-Bolivia-Peru war occurred between 1879-1883. Chile took the port city of Antofogasta from Bolivia and made it land-locked. The dispute actually was triggered by Bolivia with breaking some tax treaty between Chile-Bolivia and Peru was dragged into the war. Just my two cents! Again, a wonderful blog...enjoyed it thoroughly.
26th May 2016

When a piece of writing makes you go there
Your comments warm my heart Tab. This is a light hearted blog before heading into the altitude areas of Bolivia that took my breath away. Time for a bit of llama love and reflection. I am aware of the Pacific War of the 19th Century but the talk of the burnt village was as if it was more recent, thus my reservation. Time to listen to that track again...time to dream I am back in Bolivia again.
26th May 2016

"I dress and creep silently across stone floors to the front door of the hotel...slipping out to the burnt village for elevated views." .... Could be the start of a thriller. I also love the paragraph that starts, "The stillness of majestic volcanoes" .. So evocative.
26th May 2016

I dress and creep silently across stone floors to the front door
What I did not say was how I had to wrestle with the front door to get out, fearing I'd wake whoever was the poor staff member that probably was there for us as the only guests...nor that once out I had to go back in and get extra clothing as it was freezing out. Sometimes one has to take poetic licence and keep the less evocative bits out!!! Thanks for commenting Richard.
26th May 2016

David David David...
"As I gaze at their splendour I feel their spirits watching me...not in arrogance but in beneficence...an ethereal solitude one can only find at altitude." Not bad for a legal eagle immersed in writing dry legalese - I particularly love this lighted hearted playful blog - reminds me of the joy I was feeling in this place so close to heaven.
26th May 2016

David David David...
Ah the joy...as they say in the movie The Castle my love..."it's the serenity." My soul will always be in Bolivia. Such a buzz when a destination does that to you.
26th May 2016
Llamas are the Kings of Rock & Roll

What a beauty!
She seems to love being a photo model ;-)
26th May 2016
Llamas are the Kings of Rock & Roll

What a beauty!
When one presents a portrait blog, one needs a beautiful model. Yep...this one is surely a beauty! Thank you Nina & Markus...caught your eye I see!
28th May 2016
Llamas are the Kings of Rock & Roll

Eyeballed by a llama
Very transportive blog, I was staying right there with you at the rock hotel and enjoying the amazing scenery.
29th May 2016
Llamas are the Kings of Rock & Roll

Eyeballed by a llama
I used to think I preferred alpacas as we danced through Peru, Andrea, but I reckon I now have a soft spot for llamas. Maybe it's the Bolivian vistas that make my heart race...or maybe it's cause llamas are the kings of rock & roll...you figure!
28th May 2016

You have to love a Llama telling you what to do!
Brilliant photo's and beautifully written.
29th May 2016

You have to love a Llama telling you what to do!
Sometimes I have to get up before dawn to capture the essence of a place, Jo. Not being a morning person, I usually resist. But when else is there the solitude to be alone in my thoughts? Best time to chat to llamas as it turned out!
30th May 2016
Llamas are the Kings of Rock & Roll

The money shot
Well timed photo. Sometimes you get lucky with those and you have the perfect photo immediately and sometimes you can wait for an hour without getting it. /Ake
30th May 2016
Llamas are the Kings of Rock & Roll

The money shot
You are right Ake. Yet when it's a portrait shot, animals are not necessarily cooperative at all!
31st May 2016
The burnt village

Bolivia off season
Once again the master story teller will have people flocking to this salty wilderness during off season. Many will want to follow in your isolated footsteps. Hopefully, their 18- 200 will be fully functional. Rock on man and the llamas now know they live among the rock and they love the rock. Thanks for taking us along for the ride as only the dancing ones can.
31st May 2016
The burnt village

Bolivia off season
Wow...thanks for the generous comment MJ. Gotta admit there are some places that are sensational off-season. The Salar of Bolivia when the salt flats are flooded is one of them.
5th November 2018
Llamas are the Kings of Rock & Roll

This one kinda looks like Frida Kahlo.
7th November 2018
Llamas are the Kings of Rock & Roll

This one kinda looks like Frida Kahlo.
Gracias Andrea. Me gusta pintar en mi tiempo libre.

Tot: 0.995s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 55; qc: 181; dbt: 0.6381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.7mb