The Mummies of Volcan Thunupa


Advertisement
Published: May 1st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Following the Dakar Rally Part 2...The Mummies of Volcan Thunupa. We are traveling the highest altitude plateau areas on Earth other than Tibet. Like Tibet the people here are tough...wild dark eyes...smiles of an inner knowledge...landscapes with a wow factor like an oil painting punctured with mountain peaks. While in Tibet the mountains can be sharp and lance the sky...in Bolivia there are vol... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 105, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Awakening the dragonAwakening the dragon
Awakening the dragon

Gotta lift those clouds off the volcano
Awakening the dragonAwakening the dragon
Awakening the dragon

Tai Chi for the ages. Gotta lift those clouds
Awakening the dragonAwakening the dragon
Awakening the dragon

Tai Chi for the ages. Gotta lift those clouds

Thunupa EmergingThunupa Emerging
Thunupa Emerging

Must have heard us!
















1st May 2016

Wow! Finding mummies in a cave undisturbed...
and I love that backyard museum...what a collection...and a perfect location...with the volcano high above. The donkeys are cute. Great blog!
1st May 2016

Wow! Finding mummies in a cave undisturbed...
Sort of says something about attitudes and values in Bolivia, Bob. Anywhere else they'd be in a museum. Seven mummies in a cave on the side of the volcano was serendipitous...but to find another two in a cave in someone's backyard was insane!
2nd May 2016

Thunupa and Chlupa mummies
Another great thought provoking article Dave! Any idea where the mummies came from? Was it a sudden volcanic eruption? Then what these people were doing there in such a desolate place? Intrigues my mind! I like the myth surrounding Thunupa's cry, milky tear, the salt plain and their child volcano Colchani. There are always some stories like that which I love to hear. Recently, I heard one in the Dragon mountain in Sapa. It reflects a lot about the local folks where these stories do evolve in bits and pieces over many years! As always, great panoramic shots, Dave.
2nd May 2016

Thunupa and Chullpa's mummies
Thanks for the feedback Tab. I was delighted to find detail of some of the folklore of Thunupa but still researching the origin of the mummies. Seems their origin maybe lost to myth or legends as well! With a volcano as beautiful as Thunupa I am not surprised it is the stuff of legends...its tears the source of the Uyuni salt flats no less! I think I need to return to find Colchani...maybe host a volcanic reunion!
2nd May 2016
Guardian of the volcano

wow...
Volcan Thunupa is certainly something to behold Arif. This guys been transfixed for some time!
2nd May 2016
Chullpa's mummies

so scary...
2nd May 2016
Chullpa's mummies

Portrait of mummies!
2nd May 2016
Chullpa's mummies

Portrait of mummies!
And this one with its full set of teeth seemed close to alive
2nd May 2016
Chullpa's mummies

good shot!
2nd May 2016
Chullpa's mummies

Seems, it's in a meditative state
2nd May 2016
Guardian of the volcano

Yes I can feel that. Already put this place in my bucket list :)
4th May 2016

WOW Mummies!
Another one for the bucketlist..volcanos and mummies!
5th May 2016

WOW Mummies!
I can tell you I said more than that Cindy. Geneth gave no warning at all as we entered the cave...then we were surrounded by them! One of those times I wished my lens had not packed in in Peru. Lucky we had Denise's little camera and her iphone!!!
7th May 2016

Volcan Thunupa vs Anak Krakatoa
It is wonderful when a new adventure transports you back to a pleasant memory, experience, adventure from the past. Very cool mummies. Love these legends. What a fantastic hike. Glad the altitude was not a factor. Thank goodness for Denise and her camera.
7th May 2016

Volcan Thunupa vs Anak Krakatoa
Ditto all your comments MJ. And to be the only ones in these extraordinary landscapes adds a stillness and silence that only traveling off-season can provide.
7th May 2016
Volcan Thunupa

Amazing scenery
The perfect shot. I love this one.
7th May 2016
Volcan Thunupa

Amazing scenery
I agree. Definitely one of my favourites.
7th May 2016
Awakening the dragon

Up,up, and away
Good for you
7th May 2016
Awakening the dragon

Volcano
Put the spell on it.
7th May 2016

Bolivia
Very cool
7th May 2016

Bolivia Very cool
Bolivia was a late inclusion to our trip but now it is up there with our top destinations. Photos cannot adequately capture how spectacular the landscapes actually are. Should be on everyone's bucket list in our book!
8th May 2016

Screaming Mummies are things of nightmares!
It's amazing how well preserved they are. Living near a beautiful volcano would be amazing but I don't think I could have a mummy in my backyard :o/
8th May 2016

Screaming Mummies are things of nightmares!
One day I hope to learn their stories Anita. Some better preserved than others, some with full sets of teeth, some with only the 4 extremity teeth, some with fractured skulls, some looking restful, some not. Why are they there and not others? Wonderful they are not in a museum. Fascinating!
24th August 2019

WONDERFUL
This article is wonderful . The legends , actual climb details and pictures composed all in one . I would dream of going to see the mummies soon . Are their guides In Coqueza that drive you to see them ? Thanks for your time to share .
26th August 2019

WONDERFUL
Thanks for checking in Bud. The guardians of the key to the mummies are in Coqueza. Don't know how you get someone to drive you but hey...better do it before some official decides they should be in a museum. Better do it before the spirits of Thunupa declares you cannot. But be prepared...the climb ain't easy!
26th August 2019

Confused
Greetings , We are to be in Uyuni for 4days and 3nights . I read here about the mummies and would love to see them but l don’t know how . Do l taxi to Coquesa and get to mummies from there ? Are mummies far from there ? Do you hike from there or drive part way and then hike ? I just don’t understand how to get to see them . Any help ? Thanks
26th August 2019

Confused
I was fascinated by your query Bud. As we were following the Dakar Rally on a private tour with the driver that surveyed the Dakar course, we did not cross the Salar as it was in flood. Nor did we follow usual routes. However, if you log in Uyuni to Tahua Canton into Dr Google you will find a variety of ways including crossing the Salar by taxi via Isla Incahuasi. From Tahua to Coquesa is only minutes away, so as I always say "Where there is a will there is a way" and for you there are a number of ways. Please let me know how you go.
12th October 2021

Thunupa
The Thunupa volcano is the faithful guardian of the town of Salinas Marka located in the department of Oruro Bolivia, a beauty of landscape and ancient culture for the Aymara communities of the region.
12th October 2021

Thunupa
Thank you for the information in your comment Mario. Thunupa is also a volcano of extraordinary beauty that is truly a guardian that inspires. Thank you for sharing.

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 38; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb