The Red Planet Here on Earth


Advertisement
Published: March 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Surprisingly I didn’t sleep too badly last night. I am not used to sleeping in a dorm, so wasn’t sure how it would go. No loud snoring, no late night wild parties, just a group of worn out travelers. Oh, and before I forget, it was mentioned that the beds were not in fact concrete, but salt. Duh. I don’t know why I didn’t put that together. Regardless, they were pretty darn comfortable. Br... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 66, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

LunchLunch
Lunch

And it was amazingly good
Desert FoxDesert Fox
Desert Fox

Finally a shot of something other than flamingos!
Jump ShotJump Shot
Jump Shot

We were just too tired to give a good jump today. How sad is this shot? lol
Wind Carved RocksWind Carved Rocks
Wind Carved Rocks

This was to give perspective of how many there were



14th March 2014

I know what I am getting you for your bday
A flamingo!! The things I learn about you while you are traveling!! AWESOME blog!!! Well done. LOVED LOVED LOVED the description about the stars and the hot springs. How you could NOT come all the way down there and take advantage of that!!!! Hope the trip continues to get even better! Love you! I will also help remind you before you leave again with your ATM... glad you are not perfect. LOL!
14th March 2014

like a painting
Ok, seriously, when I saw the first picture of the Red Lagoon, I honestly thought it was a painting! Pictures are super cool, glad you're enjoying the trip! :)
14th March 2014

Green light for Red Planet blog
Great description and unique perspectives. You gave us just a glimpse of the self-confident Chef Brendan in your comment on the meal: \"If I wanted everything perfect, I could stay at home and do it myself.\" Well said. That\'s what some of my guests have probably thought. But they can\'t fault my effort.
14th March 2014
Red Lagoon

Great photo!
Love how the clouds are coating the mountains like another layer. Beautiful colors . . . and, sidenote, 3 fruit cocktails total? Brendan, I never . . . :)
15th March 2014
Red Lagoon

Thank you Michelle
The layers and colors in this are some of my favorites of the trip. And what can I say? Fruit cocktail takes me back to my childhood.
14th March 2014
Llamas by the Springs in the Morning

Salt, steam & stars
Your pictures are delightful, your enthusiasm palpable. Sounds like no better place for a natural hot tub under the stars...heavenly no doubt.
15th March 2014
Llamas by the Springs in the Morning

Thank you so much
I find that writing just flows when I am caught up remembering a wonderful moment. And that was truly a wonderful one.
14th March 2014

You always always make us laugh
Two helpings of fruit cocktail....oh please tell me it was homemade and not out of a can. Oh well, if it tasted good...go for it. As you were talking about the flamingos being on two legs instead of balancing on one due to the wind I kept picturing cow tipping in Ohio. Strange where the mind wanders. So glad you went to the hot springs. We did that in Iceland and were so happy we did. We won't discuss the ATM. Ah, back to the city life.
15th March 2014

*Shaking my head sadly*
I wish I could say it was homemade, or even a good quality, but unfortunately, neither were true. I am glad you had some laughs over the blog. Cow tipping never came to my mind, but I can see where that could pop in. Thanks for writing.
15th March 2014

Very interesting
Hi Brendon, thought I'd check to see if you'd started your travels yet, so shall catch up on your blogs! What incredible scenery, your photos capture that vast alien landscape beautifully. The food sounds yummybut can't understand why Quinoa is so popular, I think it tastes fairly nasty and reminds me of frogspawn.
20th March 2014

another amazing post
The landscape really is Mars-like. I think my favourite part is you describing your soak in the hot springs and looking up at a sky full of stars. That would be a moment i would treasure forever.
21st March 2014

It is out there waiting for you
I think you would love it. I know I will always remember it.
8th May 2014

Like they were meant to
"....the stars were able to shine like they were meant to shine." I love how you've worded this. Reminds me of when I was on Pitt Island (NZ), the stars were so bright and seemed so close as though I could almost have just reached out and touched them. Would have made a perfect ceiling for a hot spring!
9th May 2014

Thank you so much Jo. Living in a big city, I forget how stars shine when there is not so much light around. It was a very special feeling to really be able to enjoy them. I am so glad you have been able to appreciate them in their full brightness as well.

Tot: 0.318s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 44; qc: 155; dbt: 0.2155s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb