Uyuni'd Salt With That!?


Advertisement
Published: October 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Uyuni and made our way to our Hostel. Got put in a room with the world's most uncomfortable bed! The upside of the day for Stuart was that he managed to get himself a Poncho!!!

The next day we boarded a land-cruiser to travel to Salar de Uyuni. The trip started with a stop at the train graveyard. We got to clamber on all the old trains which used to carry goods to Chile.

The Salt flats seemed to go on forever and the heat haze made the distant mountains look as if they were floating above the horizon. The never ending landscape provided a brilliant backdrop to take loads of photos.

Before retiring for a much needed rest (and application of after sun) to our hostel, constructed almost solely of blocks of salt, we passed by flamingo filled lagoons.

After an early start we got to clamber around on volcanic rocks whilst an active volcano smouldered in the background. We stopped for lunch by a lagoon and ate at a small stone table. when it came to bed down for the night we stopped at Red Lagoon, so named because of the red organism that tints the water a deep red.

On the final day of the tour we got up very early to see the sun rise at a nearby geyser. The smell of sulphur was overpowering as the boiling mud pools bubbled away. On the way to some hot pools we passed shards of ice sticking up from the ground. The next destination of the tour was the Green Lagoon where we stopped for pictures before heading to some amazing rock formations and then headed back.

We then had one more night in Uyuni before we boarded the train to Tupiza.

Will tell you all about Tupiza soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 176, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0824s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb